Vector calculus

by phyz76
Tags: calculus, vector
Share this thread:
phyz76
Sep4-07, 12:04 PM
P: 2
hey guys & gals ...
i need your advice in selecting the best possible Vector Calculus book for a physics major planning on pursuing his Master's and perhaps more in the future ... i have been away from math and physics for some time (~ 4 years) and do not have a solid Vec-Calc background. I've read mixed reviews about different books on amazon.com and can't quite decide on which book to go with. I have a general Calc book from the late 90s but it's not enough for advanced physics (well, as advanced as a master's degree would require).

Your advice is appreciated,

phyz76
8 )
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Daverz
Sep4-07, 03:32 PM
P: 910
http://www.amazon.com/Div-Grad-Curl-.../dp/0393925161
phyz76
Sep4-07, 04:15 PM
P: 2
Davers,
thanks for your reply. But isn't your recommended book an informal text on vector calculus? it does have great reviews, but i need something more fundamental with rigorous proofs, examples, and problems ... Griffiths which is the typical E&M undergrad also has vector calculus but there isn't much proof and examples. if you have other recommendations like which to choose between "Tromba, Hubbard, Colley, or Stewart" (or another author) as a more formal text on V-Calc, please let me know.

Dr Transport
Sep4-07, 06:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,481
Vector calculus

Schaum's outline isn't too bad.
Daverz
Sep5-07, 05:32 AM
P: 910
Quote Quote by phyz76 View Post
Davers,
thanks for your reply. But isn't your recommended book an informal text on vector calculus?
I've seen the book used as a supplemental text at UCSD for their E&M course.
Howers
Sep5-07, 06:02 AM
P: 444
Schaum's omits a lot of rigour and/or leaves it as exercise without answers.

The book my school uses is "Advanced Calculus by Folland, and it may be what your looking for. Very rigorous, but at the same time difficult. Its what physicists here are expected to know. Reviews aren't looking too great though. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Calcu.../dp/0130652652

Another one my school used to use is Vector Calculus by Marsden & Tromba. It too is very rigorous and somewhat theoretical. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Calculu.../dp/0716724324

These are very difficult texts from what I know, that really go in depth into vector calc. I haven't actually used them yet, because I start my course in a week. However, if your doing independent study, it might be difficult to grasp advanced concepts alone. So I'd reccommend you take an easier book to supplement it, something like Stewart's Multivariable calculus which is rich on illustrations and gives you a strong intutitive feel. Once that is down, you can get down to the proofs and rigour in the books I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
Billygoat
Sep5-07, 08:42 PM
P: 11
Here's two that have served me well:

Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L Boas, Wiley $ Sons
(This one is not at a high level, but thorough)
and
Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber, Elsevier Academic Press.
(This one seems to come in several versions... The two I have are both useful.)
mathwonk
Sep9-07, 01:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
i liked tromba and marsden when i taught out of it to hionors high school students about 25 years ago.

the classic for years was williamson, crowell, and trotter. of course apostol.
Howers
Sep9-07, 07:21 PM
P: 444
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
i liked tromba and marsden when i taught out of it to hionors high school students about 25 years ago.

the classic for years was williamson, crowell, and trotter. of course apostol.
Highschoolers learning from Tromba?

Why do I suddenly feel so much stupider... :(

Register to reply