French student look after pre-calculus books

In summary, the books that are popular on this forum are Pre-Calculus: Mathematics for Calculus, by J. Stewart, Pre-Calculus: Mathematics for Calculus, by Serge Lang, and Basic Mathematique, by S. Lang. A department of mathematics is a great idea and Serge Lang is always a good recommendation.
Skipiox
Hi there , well my questions is in the title but i have to say some things :
I have multiples mathematiques and physics courses calc-based and so i want to review the basic .
I already search around this forum and others and i find some books who looks popular here there are :
- Pre-Calculus, by Blitzer
- Pre-Calculus: Mathematics for Calculus, by J. Stewart
- Basic Mathematique, S. Lang
What do you think about these books are there complete for acquire the base for go to calculus books of Spivak or Marsden&Weinstein after ? ( if you have any recommandation for calculus books I'm interested )

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know those books, as I've read those fundamental topics in my own language. Serge Lang is always a good recommendation, regardless of whether I know the book. For books, which are used at university, i.e. Calculus, resp. Analysis, members here swear on Spivak. But again, I would look out for books in French. You could e.g. visit a book store for mathematical books in a town where a university is and ask the owner, which one students usually buy in their first semester (or trimester). Of course you could also contact the math department of a university, but the book store approach is easier.

For Precalculus, you can have a look here: https://openstax.org/subjects
They are for free, published by a university and so you can just have a look and see whether they match your expectations.

thanks for your answer , i already look at the books stores of my university town but none of what the owners propose to me was really good in my opinion : nothing was coresponding of what we see in course .
The only books who look ok and correspond to what we see in ours courses are the english books for calculus or pre-calculus .
The department of mathematique is a great idea i will answer them .

Skipiox said:
thanks for your answer , i already look at the books stores of my university town but none of what the owners propose to me was really good in my opinion : nothing was coresponding of what we see in course .
The only books who look ok and correspond to what we see in ours courses are the english books for calculus or pre-calculus .
The department of mathematique is a great idea i will answer them .
There is usually only one book store which sells the standard books, and normally next to the university. If you ask in any book store, you will not get a good answer. You have to figure out the one where all students run to at the start of a new semester.

We didn't have this types of thing in france , like a book store only for student , it doesn't exist .

Only for students is a bit too strict. We had a store which had all the books for natural sciences and mathematics, and I saw somewhere in town, that there was a bookstore especially for medical students, too. This had the advantage that staff in the store always knew what to order in a higher quantity once a year. Maybe this was a privileged situation - I don't know about other towns.

Last edited:
have you been to Gibert Jeune, Blvd St Michel, in Paris? I recall buying math books there in my youth.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the "French student look"?

The "French student look" is a style trend that is often associated with French students. It typically includes elements such as fitted clothing, minimalistic accessories, and a mix of high-end and thrifted pieces.

2. Why do French students need to look after pre-calculus books?

In France, pre-calculus is a common subject in high school and university. French students may need to look after pre-calculus books to study for exams or complete assignments.

3. How can I achieve the French student look without spending a lot of money on new clothes?

You can achieve the French student look by incorporating key elements such as fitted clothing, simple accessories, and a mix of high-end and thrifted pieces. You can also get inspiration from French fashion bloggers and try to recreate their looks with items you already own.

4. Is the French student look appropriate for a professional setting?

The French student look can be adapted for a professional setting by incorporating more tailored and structured pieces. It is important to maintain a professional appearance while still incorporating elements of the French student look.

5. Can I still achieve the French student look if I am not a student?

Yes, anyone can achieve the French student look regardless of their age or occupation. The key is to incorporate the right elements such as fitted clothing, simple accessories, and a mix of high-end and thrifted pieces to create a chic and effortless style.