Why wave packets?

by hanson
Tags: packets, wave
Share this thread:
hanson
Sep6-07, 02:21 AM
P: 320
Hi all.
Can someone explain me physically why we need to deal with wave packets in water waves?
I know the the nonlinear schrodinger equations deals with wave packets in water wave.
But why bother dealing with wave packets?
For the KdV equation, the concept of wave packets is not needed, why?
What so special about wave packets?
Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
genneth
Sep6-07, 03:41 AM
P: 980
Schroedinger equation deals with water? That's new to me.
hanson
Sep7-07, 12:53 AM
Quote Quote by genneth View Post
yes, nonlinear schrodinger equation can be used in water waves context.
Please help.

cesiumfrog
Sep7-07, 12:59 AM
P: 2,051
Why wave packets?

They're special in that they represent particles?
Gokul43201
Sep7-07, 01:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by hanson View Post
What so special about wave packets?
They are one of the very few analytical solutions to the NLSE.
Chris Hillman
Sep7-07, 11:41 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,340
Quote Quote by genneth View Post
The theory of solitons is a beautiful, intricate, and highly developed subject, so anyone who wants to know more should consult a good book since there is a lot to learn if you want to understand the basics. However, IMO it is not nearly as confusing as hanson makes out!

I like the undergraduate level introduction by P. G. Drazin and R. S. Johnson, Solitons: an Introduction, Cambridge University Press, 1989.

If you follow this up, you will see how the usual Schroedinger equation plays a role in the famous inverse-scattering transform method of solving the KdV, a famous soliton equation, which arises as an approximation of water waves under certain circumstances. This spawned a great deal of work, including analysis of related PDEs, such as the mKdV, the BBM equation, the Camassa-Holm equation, etc. (the latter also arises as approximations of water waves and includes idealized "breaking of waves"; see math.AP/0709.0905).

The nonlinear Schroedinger equation is a nonlinear generalization of the Schroedinger equation which itself has some aspects of a soliton equation. The sine-Gordon equation is another well known nonlinear PDE which has some soliton-like solutions.

You can search the arXiv to find many recent papers discussing current research in this area. Needless to say, you will need a strong background in differential equations to follow this research.
hanson
Sep9-07, 11:36 AM
How does KdV equation deal with wave packets?

Register to reply