Register to reply

Fluid Flows - Complex potential function and general equation of a streamline

Share this thread:
fr33d0m
Sep6-07, 03:20 AM
P: 4
Hi All

I'm having some problem with this question and was hoping that someone could help me with it. I think I have the first two bits but the rest I'm totally stuck
Click image for larger version

Name:	q2a.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	10821

For part (ii) I have the complex potential function as (3x^2)/2 - (3y^2)/2 +6y and the stream function as x(3y-6). Is this correct and if so, how do I use these to calculate part (iii). In other words how can i determine the equation of a general streamline for q? Can someone please help me?

"Ignorance is always ready to admire itself. Procure yourself
critical friends."
Nicolas Boileau, 1674
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
HallsofIvy
Sep6-07, 06:24 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,310
It's been a long time since I have done problems like that but here's how I would do it (perhaps awkwardly):
In the complex plane, writing z= x+ iy, the velocity function, [itex]q(z)= dx/dt+ i dy/dt= \overline{z}+ 6i= x- iy+ 6i= x+ (6-y)i[/itex] which gives the two differential equations dx/dt= 3x and dy/dt= 6- 3y. You can integrate those directly or divide one by the other to eliminate t and get dy/dx= (6-3y)/3x. I would be inclined to go ahead and cancel "3"s. dy/dx= (2-y)/x. That is a separable equation: dy/(2-y)= dx/x and integrating -ln(2-y)= ln(x)+ C or 1/(2-y)= C'x so x(2-y)= C', a family of hyperbolas. That is, except for a factor of 3 which is now incorporated in the constant, what you have for the stream lines. The "equi-potential" lines are always orthogonal to the stream lines so they are given by
dy/dx= -x/(2- y). (2-y)dy= -xdx so 2y- y2/2= -x2/2+ C That is the same as x2/2- y2/2+ 2y= C or x2- y2+ 4y= C' (C'= 2C), the family of hyperbolas orthogonal to the stream lines. That is also, except for the factor of 3, what you have.

To answer (c), determine C' in x(2-y)= C'. For example, the stream line through (0,0) has both x and y= 0 so 0(2-0)= C'. C'= 0 so x(2-y)= 0 which is only satisfied by (0,0) (that's your "degenerate" stream line). The stream line through 1+i= (1,1) has x=y= 1 so 1(2-1)= C'. C'= 1 and the stream line is the hyperbola x(2-y)= 1. From dx/dt= x, we see that, at x= 1> 0, x is increasing. The direction of flow is to the right.

Register to reply