Fluid dynamics, solving ODE to find particle path

In summary: If you start at, say (1,0), the trajectory is not a straight line anymore but a circle !In summary, the conversation discussed a time-dependent two-dimensional fluid flow with a given velocity field in a Cartesian coordinate system. It was shown that at time t = 0, the streamlines of this flow are circles centered on the origin. The equation of the streamline passing through the point (0,1) was found to be x2+y2=1. The conversation then moved on to finding the equation of the path of a particle released at the point (0,1) at t=0. After solving the relevant differential equations, it was determined that the particle follows a straight line trajectory at y=1. This trajectory
sa1988

Homework Statement

A time-dependent two-dimensional fluid flow is given, in a Cartesian coordinates system (x, y), by the velocity field:

u = (y, t-x)

Show that, at time t = 0, the streamlines of this flow are circles centred on the origin.
Find equation of the streamline that passes through the point (0, 1)
Find the equation of the path of a particle released at the point (0,1) at t=0.

Homework Equations

For streamlines in u = (u, v):
dx(t)/u = dy(t)/w

Particle path:
dx/dt = u
dy/dt = v

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm okay with the streamline part but here it is anyway:

Streamline:
Using the given equation for finding streamlines, plug in the values and rearrange to get:

(t-x) dx = y dy

y2/2 = tx - x2/2 + C

Rearrange to show x2+y2 = 2tx + C

For t = 0 , it reduces to x2+y2 = + C,
which is a circle.

Streamline passing though (0, 1) is given in:
x2+y2 = C = 02+12 + C
C = 1

Streamline is x2+y2 = 1

Now, onto the particle path. This is the bit I'm stumped on.

I've plotted the stream flow in mathematica and intuitively it seems the path should be:
(x, y) = (sin[ t ] + t, cos[ t ])
But my answer is coming out slightly different.
Here goes...

Velocity u = (y, t-x)
Particle path:
dx/dt = u
dy/dt = v

So
dx/dt = y
dy/dt = t-x

Taking the 2nd derivative of the first part, we get
d2x/dt2 = dy/dt = t - x
This gives a differential equation for x(t):

d2x/dt2 + x = t

Solving the left hand side:
d2x/dt2 + x = 0

Using characteristic method to find particular solution, setting xc(t) = Aeλt
Thus:
λ = ±i
Giving:
xc(t) = Aeit + Be-it

Then to solve for the full differential equation, d2x/dt2 + x = t
Try particular solution xp(t) = t
This appears to work, giving finally:
x(t) = Aeit + Be-it + t

Then, from the information above, we have:
dx/dt = y
giving
y(t) = Aieit - Bie-it + 1

So, final solution for positions x(t) and y(t) are:

x(t) = Aeit + Be-it + t

The information states that the particle is released at (x, y) = (0, 1) at time t=0
So this can be used to find constants A and B:

x(0) = Ae0 + Be0 + 0 = 0
A + B = 0
A = -B

y(0) = Aie0 - Bie0 + 1 = 1
Substitute A = -B
-Bi - Bi + 1 = 1
-2Bi = 0
B = 0

Therefore:
A = -B = 0

So both functions x(t) and y(t) are reduced to zero for the given boundary conditions.

And this is where I am lost.

:oldconfused::oldconfused::oldconfused:

Thanks for any help anyone can give, and thanks for taking the time to look at this because I know it's a large post!

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
I read (x,y) = (t,1) , not (0,0) :smile: ?

And you can check that it satisfies the equation ! And the initial conditions ! Well done :rolleyes: !

Last edited:
BvU said:
I read (x,y) = (t,1) , not (0,0) :smile: ?

And you can check that it satisfies the equation ! And the initial conditions ! Well done :rolleyes: !

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

Where have you got (x,y) = (t,1) from? Where did you read that? And where did you see any mention of (0,0)?

Thanks

x(t) = Aeit + Be-it + t
So if A and B are 0 then x = t and y = 1, in other words (x,y) = (t, 1)
Therefore: A = -B = 0
So both functions x(t) and y(t) are reduced to zero for the given boundary conditions
Which I interpret as x = 0 and y = 0, in other words (x,y) = (0, 0)​

Likes sa1988
BvU said:
So if A and B are 0 then x = t and y = 1, in other words (x,y) = (t, 1)

Which I interpret as x = 0 and y = 0, in other words (x,y) = (0, 0)​
Ahh I see what you mean now.

So it does satisfy the equation for the given boundary conditions (woohoo!)

BUT, the problem is that I'm certain it's wrong.

The original velocity vector, u = (y, t-x), describes a circular vector field for any fixed time t. Like this:
http://student.ulb.ac.be/~lclaesse/phystricks-documentation/_build/html/_images/Picture_FIGLabelFigChampVecteursPICTChampVecteurs-for_eps.png

As time increases, the field drifts to the right.

This would surely mean that the particle path describes something a little bit 'loopy'.

As I said, intuitively I'd have though the particle path is (x, y) = (sin[ t ] + t, cos[ t ]) . This would satisfy the start point (0,1) at t=0, and would describe a path that nicely follows the rightward-moving circular vector field that the particle exists in.

However the answer I've got is (t, 1), which is a basically a straight line at y=1 ! :oldfrown:

Good to know I got the ODE right but it seems I'm still wrong somewhere. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

EDIT: Hang on a minute... Maybe I'm not wrong? If the vector field moves to the right at the same rate of its circular rotation, maybe the particle will sit at that y=1 spot continually...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gracy
Actually... it makes more sense for it to stay on that straight line y=1...

For every moment of time that passes, the vector field moves a step to the right, meaning that there is never an 'opportunity' for the y-component of the velocity to change its value away from 0, because the component uy = t - x , with the initial condition x = 0, t = 0, so of course t - x = 0 for the whole time.

Fantastic. I think I've done it.

Happy days.

Thanks for the help!

You have indeed! Well done (again) :rolleyes: !

And you'll note that this surprising trajectory comes out for this particular starting point only.

Likes sa1988

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the movement of fluids (liquids and gases) and how they interact with solid objects. It involves understanding the principles of fluid motion and using mathematical equations to describe and predict the behavior of fluids.

2. How do you solve ODEs in fluid dynamics?

ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations) are solved using mathematical methods such as integration, separation of variables, and numerical methods. These methods can be applied to the equations that describe fluid motion, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to find the path of a particle in the fluid.

3. What is the importance of solving ODEs in fluid dynamics?

Solving ODEs in fluid dynamics allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in a wide range of applications, such as in engineering, environmental science, and weather forecasting. It also helps us design efficient systems that involve fluid flow, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines.

4. What factors affect the path of a particle in a fluid?

The path of a particle in a fluid is affected by several factors, including the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), the initial conditions of the particle (such as velocity and position), and external forces (such as gravity and pressure gradients).

5. Can ODEs accurately predict the path of a particle in a real fluid?

ODEs provide a simplified mathematical representation of fluid motion and can accurately predict the path of a particle in an idealized fluid. However, in real-life scenarios, there may be additional complexities and external factors that can affect the accuracy of the predictions. Therefore, it is important to validate the results of ODE solutions with experimental data.