Law vs. Theory, etc.

by dav2008
Tags: theory
Share this thread:
dav2008
May5-03, 07:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 621
Hm, I saw this in the other topic about the Big Bang, and I decided to bring it over here for further discussion.

What IS the difference between theory, law, and what are the other definitions given?

I always thought a law was something that was proven many times and a theory was something that was not disproven, but that there are several contradicting theories which cant make each one true.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
Mentat
May5-03, 10:23 AM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by dav2008
Hm, I saw this in the other topic about the Big Bang, and I decided to bring it over here for further discussion.

What IS the difference between theory, law, and what are the other definitions given?

I always thought a law was something that was proven many times and a theory was something that was not disproven, but that there are several contradicting theories which cant make each one true.
A scientific Law is a readily demonstrable fact, that cannot be disproven.

A scientific theory is a hypothesis that has been rigorously tested, and not found faulty, usually also having been found somewhat useful.

A scientific hypothesis (and I stress the difference between "hypothesis" and "theory") is an educated guess; it is nothing more than a speculation that can be tested.

Did you have any other specific terms in mind, that need defining?

P.S. my definitions (above) are applications of the different levels of the Scientific Method.
Alexander
May5-03, 11:19 AM
P: n/a
Are there any other methods?

Register to reply