Tennis Racquet

by anirudhreddy
Tags: racquet, tennis
anirudhreddy
Sep21-07, 09:57 PM
P: 4
Could you guys please tell me a very lab-doable method for finding the tension of the strings of a tennis racquet?
thx
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Gokul43201
Sep21-07, 10:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Does it have to be non-destructive?
anirudhreddy
Sep21-07, 10:15 PM
P: 4
Yup. i play tennis with that racquet

rcgldr
Sep21-07, 11:50 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,925

Tennis Racquet

I don't think it can be done via an algorithm. You'd have to actually restring a racquet with various tensions and then measure how much the strings flex when a force is applied to the center of the racquet and curve fit the results. Even this may change over time due to friction and wear of the strings.

I'm also not sure if the strings "relax" after the initial stringing of a racquet. Players find a stringing tension they like and stick with that. Current racquets, the new polyester strings, and stringing machines are pretty accurate compared to older times when you could see players bouncing the edge of a racket against the strings of another racquet to choose which one to play with.
Danger
Sep22-07, 01:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
If you know the mechanical properties of the 'head', be it wood, fibreglas, carbon fibre, or whatever... maybe you can do distortional measurements with and without the strings to see how much deformation they cause?
From the other end, if you know the physical properties of the strings themselves, you can perhaps do deformation measurements of the 'web?' under various load conditions.
I'm just pulling stuff out of my *** here, though, because I really don't know anything about the subject.
Meir Achuz
Sep24-07, 02:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,933
Quote Quote by anirudhreddy View Post
Could you guys please tell me a very lab-doable method for finding the tension of the strings of a tennis racquet?
thx
1. Pluck the string, and measure the frequency of vibration. Then use physics.
2. Clamp the string. Measure the force required to pull it the slightest amount.
Compare.
HallsofIvy
Sep24-07, 03:21 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,881
Drop a tennis ball on the strings. Measure how high it goes. Of course, you would have to compare it to the bounce on a racket with known tension.

Register to reply