by rock.freak667
Tags: deviation, solved, standard
Share this thread:
rock.freak667
Sep25-07, 05:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,204
Now I know that [tex]\sigma=\sqrt{var(x)}[/tex]

which simplifies to this expression : [tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(x-\overline{x})^2}[/tex] can someone show me how they got such an expression?

and in chemistry I have to use a standard deviation calculation to get out a problem. Now normally I would use the above equation but my notes tell me to use this equation:

[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{1}{N-1}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(x-\overline{x})^2}[/tex]

Which one is correct to use? and can someone tell me if this is correct [tex]c_v =\frac{\sigma}{\overline{x}}[/tex] where [tex]c_v[/tex] is the coefficient of variation
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
mathman
Sep25-07, 08:22 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,040
The definition of the st. dev. depends on whether or not the mean is the true mean or the average of the experimental data. For the true mean use 1/N, for the experimental average use 1/(N-1). If you take the average of the variance with the experimental mean and compare it to the average of the variance with the true mean, you will see they are equal.
rock.freak667
Sep25-07, 08:28 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,204
Oh I see now,thank you

Register to reply