Quick question about finding standard deviation

In summary, the conversation was about finding the standard deviation and understanding the difference between using 1/N and 1/(N-1) in the calculation. The correct equation to use depends on whether the mean is the true mean or the average of the experimental data. Taking the average of the variance with the experimental mean and comparing it to the average of the variance with the true mean will show that they are equal.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] Quick question about finding standard deviation

Now I know that [tex]\sigma=\sqrt{var(x)}[/tex]

which simplifies to this expression : [tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(x-\overline{x})^2}[/tex] can someone show me how they got such an expression?

and in chemistry I have to use a standard deviation calculation to get out a problem. Now normally I would use the above equation but my notes tell me to use this equation:

[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{1}{N-1}\sum_{i=1}^{N}(x-\overline{x})^2}[/tex]

Which one is correct to use? and can someone tell me if this is correct [tex]c_v =\frac{\sigma}{\overline{x}}[/tex] where [tex]c_v[/tex] is the coefficient of variation

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of the st. dev. depends on whether or not the mean is the true mean or the average of the experimental data. For the true mean use 1/N, for the experimental average use 1/(N-1). If you take the average of the variance with the experimental mean and compare it to the average of the variance with the true mean, you will see they are equal.

Oh I see now,thank you

1. What is the formula for finding standard deviation?

The formula for finding standard deviation is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by the total number of data points.

2. Why is standard deviation important in statistics?

Standard deviation is important in statistics because it measures the spread or variability of a data set. It allows us to understand how much the data points deviate from the mean and can help us make more accurate predictions and conclusions about the data.

3. How do you interpret standard deviation?

Standard deviation can be interpreted as the average amount that each data point deviates from the mean. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data points are closer to the mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates that the data points are more spread out.

4. Can you have a negative standard deviation?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because it is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of squared differences, which will always result in a positive number.

5. How can you use standard deviation in real life?

Standard deviation can be used in real life to analyze and compare data sets, make predictions about future events, and identify outliers in a data set. It is commonly used in fields such as finance, social sciences, and manufacturing to make informed decisions based on data.