Heat Capacity of Air at Constant Volume

by s.p.q.r
Tags: capacity, constant, heat, volume
Share this thread:
s.p.q.r
Oct1-07, 06:28 AM
P: 25
Hi

I have an ongoing dispute with my mate on this one, please help to clarify this before I open up a can of whoop *** on that sorry mo-fo.

300 litres of air are compressed into a 3 litre tank. What is the heat capacity of this air?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Hootenanny
Oct1-07, 06:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
What do you think it is?
s.p.q.r
Oct2-07, 03:51 AM
The Cp J mol is 29.19. But because I ask for constant volume, it is definately lower then this. This is what I think. I can find no references to constant volume anywhere and unfortunately I have no teacher to ask as I study archaeology, not physics.

Do you have the answer?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Mason
Oct2-07, 09:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,679
Heat Capacity of Air at Constant Volume

Quote Quote by s.p.q.r View Post
The Cp J mol is 29.19. But because I ask for constant volume, it is definately lower then this. This is what I think. I can find no references to constant volume anywhere and unfortunately I have no teacher to ask as I study archaeology, not physics.

Do you have the answer?

Thanks in advance.
Air is almost entirely a diatomic gas, [itex]\gamma = C_p/C_v = 1.4[/itex] (7/5)

AM
s.p.q.r
Oct2-07, 10:54 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is 1.4 per gram or mol?

Also,

How can you measure a gram of gas and how much is 1 mol?

Cheers.
mgb_phys
Oct2-07, 11:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
1.4 is a ratio ( actually nearer 1.3 for dry air at room temp)
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity_ratio
1 mol of air is roughly 30g or 22.4litres at STP ( 0deg C 1 atm)
Loren Booda
Oct2-07, 10:30 PM
P: 3,408
Is heat capacity independent of volume for an ideal gas?

Stupid question - gas performs work while being compressed.
mgb_phys
Oct3-07, 08:30 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
For an ideal gas heat capcity just depends on the amount (number of moles) present and the number of vibration states of the molecular.
For a real gas it also depends on the pressure because the molecules close to each other change the vibration state/bond energy.
Loren Booda
Oct3-07, 11:19 AM
P: 3,408
In a modification of the "ideal gas" law, I seem to recall an equation with correction terms for the volume and pressure, respectively. Has anyone run across this?
s.p.q.r
Oct8-07, 08:36 AM
Hi,
This ratio of 1.4, does this just mean that you divide the constant pressure capacity (1.020J/g) by 1.4?
Andrew Mason
Oct8-07, 12:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,679
Quote Quote by s.p.q.r View Post
Hi,
This ratio of 1.4, does this just mean that you divide the constant pressure capacity (1.020J/g) by 1.4?
[itex]\gamma = 1.4[/itex] is the ratio of the specific heat (heat flow per gram or per mole per degree K change in temperature) at constant pressure to the specific heat at constant volume. [itex]\gamma = C_p/C_v[/itex]. What you want to find is Cv. You also have to find the number of moles of air in this container to find its heat capacity (heat flow per degree K change in Temp.).

AM

Register to reply