Problem with heat capacity of thermal system

In summary, the heat capacity of a thermal system is the amount of heat needed to raise its temperature by one degree Celsius. It is important because it affects temperature stability and energy requirements. Problems can arise due to poor insulation, inadequate heating or cooling, and inefficient energy transfer. These can be addressed by improving insulation, optimizing mechanisms, and ensuring efficient energy transfer. The heat capacity can also be increased by using materials with higher specific heat capacities and optimizing the system's design and operation.
Pouyan

Homework Statement

a) a styrofoam cup contains 200g of water at 20 C.What will be the equilibrium temp of the system after 100g of silver,initially at 300 C,has been added?you may assume that the heat capacity of the cup is negligible and that no heat is lost to the surroundings.

(b) a further 100g of an unknown substance,also at 300 C is now added to the system and the temperature rises by a further 26 degrees celsius
what is the specific heat capacity of the unknown substance?(the specific heat of water is 4180 Jkg^-1 K^-1 and that of silver 240 J kg^-1 K^-1)

Homework Equations

a) Q before = Q after
Q before = Mass of water * C water * (T - 20)
Q after = Mass of silver * C silver * (300-T)

b) My problem is this part. I don't know how I can set up the equation when a new substance is added to this system. Would please someone help me with part b of this question?!

The Attempt at a Solution

a) T = 28 C

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement

a) a styrofoam cup contains 200g of water at 20 C.What will be the equilibrium temp of the system after 100g of silver,initially at 300 C,has been added?you may assume that the heat capacity of the cup is negligible and that no heat is lost to the surroundings.

(b) a further 100g of an unknown substance,also at 300 C is now added to the system and the temperature rises by a further 26 degrees celsius
what is the specific heat capacity of the unknown substance?(the specific heat of water is 4180 Jkg^-1 K^-1 and that of silver 240 J kg^-1 K^-1)

Homework Equations

a) Q before = Q after
Q before = Mass of water * C water * (T - 20)
Q after = Mass of silver * C silver * (300-T)

b) My problem is this part. I don't know how I can set up the equation when a new substance is added to this system. Would please someone help me with part b of this question?!

The Attempt at a Solution

a) T = 28 C
After the 200 g of water and the 100 g of silver in Part a) have reached thermal equilibrium, both are at the same temperature.

In Part b), you start with the equilibrium temperature from Part a) with the water and silver, but now you have added 100 g of an unknown material which raises the temperature of the water and silver by 26° C while the unknown substance is cooled from 300° C. This requires no special setup, just regular bookkeeping of the amount of heat added to the water and silver and the amount of heat lost by the mystery material.

Likes Pouyan
SteamKing said:
After the 200 g of water and the 100 g of silver in Part a) have reached thermal equilibrium, both are at the same temperature.

In Part b), you start with the equilibrium temperature from Part a) with the water and silver, but now you have added 100 g of an unknown material which raises the temperature of the water and silver by 26° C while the unknown substance is cooled from 300° C. This requires no special setup, just regular bookkeeping of the amount of heat added to the water and silver and the amount of heat lost by the mystery material.
Thanks but I think so :

in this case :

Q before : (mass of water*Cw + mass of silver*Cs) * (28 + 26)
Q after : (mass of x * Cx )(300-26)

when I try to eject Cx from Q before= Q after, I get wrong value
The correct answer is Oxygen (908.9 J/kg/K)

What is wrong with this equation?!

Pouyan said:
Thanks but I think so :

in this case :

Q before : (mass of water*Cw + mass of silver*Cs) * (28 + 26)

The water and silver are already at a temperature of 28° C, before the unknown substance is added. The heat transfer from this unknown substance is going to raise the temperature of the water and silver by 26° C, not by (28° + 26°).
Q after : (mass of x * Cx )(300-26)

when I try to eject Cx from Q before= Q after, I get wrong value
The correct answer is Oxygen (908.9 J/kg/K)

What is wrong with this equation?!

It's not clear how you determined the unknown substance was Oxygen, which, as far as I know, is a gas at a temperature of 300° C

SteamKing said:
The water and silver are already at a temperature of 28° C, before the unknown substance is added. The heat transfer from this unknown substance is going to raise the temperature of the water and silver by 26° C, not by (28° + 26°).

It's not clear how you determined the unknown substance was Oxygen, which, as far as I know, is a gas at a temperature of 300° C

I get 1887 which is not the correct answer... I don't know how I can solve it

Pouyan said:
I get 1887 which is not the correct answer... I don't know how I can solve it
I have no idea what 1887 means, what units it has, or how you got it.

Please post your calculations.

1. What is heat capacity of a thermal system?

The heat capacity of a thermal system is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of the system by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the system's ability to store thermal energy.

2. Why is heat capacity of thermal systems important?

The heat capacity of a thermal system is important because it affects the system's ability to maintain a stable temperature. It also plays a role in determining the amount of energy needed to heat or cool the system.

3. What causes problems with heat capacity in thermal systems?

Problems with heat capacity in thermal systems can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor insulation, inadequate heating or cooling mechanisms, and inefficient energy transfer within the system.

4. How can the problem with heat capacity of thermal systems be addressed?

The problem with heat capacity in thermal systems can be addressed by improving insulation, optimizing heating and cooling mechanisms, and ensuring efficient energy transfer within the system. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help prevent or address any issues.

5. Can the heat capacity of a thermal system be increased?

Yes, the heat capacity of a thermal system can be increased by using materials with higher specific heat capacities, improving insulation, and optimizing the system's design and operation. However, there may be limitations based on the specific system and its components.