Electric dipole in an electric field

by jhess12
Tags: dipole, electric, field
Share this thread:
jhess12
Oct5-07, 01:53 PM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A small object with electrc dipole moment [tex]\overrightharpoonup{p}[/tex] is placed in a nonuniform electric field [tex]\overrightarrow{E}[/tex] =E(x)[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]. That is, the field is in the x direction and its magnitude depends on the coordinate x. Let [tex]\theta[/tex] represent the angle between the dipole moment and the x direction. (a) Prove that the net force on the dipole is F=p([tex]\frac{dE}{dx}[/tex])cos[tex]\theta[/tex] acting in the direction of the increasing field.

2. Relevant equations
U=-pEcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
p[tex]\equiv[/tex]2aq

3. The attempt at a solution

im not asking for anyone to do the problem, but I dont even know where to start. if someone could just please maybe help me understand the problem better and help me get started i would much appreciate it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Dick
Oct5-07, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
You have the potential U. The force is the negative of the gradient of the potential. Is that a good starting point?
jhess12
Oct5-07, 03:15 PM
so F=-U, so F=pE[tex]cos\theta[/tex], and (dE/dx) is the direction of the electric field as it changes with the coordinate x because the electric field is nonuniform right?

Dick
Oct5-07, 03:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Electric dipole in an electric field

The potential is a scalar function. It's -p.E ('.'=dot product). In your case since the directions of the vectors are fixed, you can as you have, write this as -|p||E(x)|cos(theta). So U is a function of x. F is not equal to -U. It's equal to minus the GRADIENT of U. How do you compute a gradient?
jhess12
Oct5-07, 03:38 PM
i just dont know. i think that it might be E=[tex]\delta[/tex]V/[tex]\delta[/tex]x
Dick
Oct5-07, 03:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
The gradient of a function U is (dU/dx,dU/dy,dU/dz) (where the derivatives are partial derivatives).
jhess12
Oct5-07, 03:57 PM
im sorry, i just dont understand, i see all these equation for W(work)=U and i can see that there should be some way for me to solve this problem because as you have explained it to me, it actually seems very simple, except that i dont know how to put the gradient into the equation. i know that W=-[tex]\int[/tex]F.ds=-[tex]\int[/tex]qE.ds where F and E and ds are vectors but...im sorry
Dick
Oct5-07, 04:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Ok, so if W=-integral(F*ds) then dW/ds=-F. Or F=-dU/ds. Apply that to this problem. In three dimensions you want to think of a gradient rather than a simple derivative, but if that is driving you crazy, forget about it for now. Treat it as a one dimensional problem, but afterwards think about why dU/dy=0 and dU/dz=0 mean F_y=0 and F_z=0.
jhess12
Oct6-07, 12:18 AM
are du/dy=0 and du/dx=0 because they are perpendicular to the electric field? but i think i understand some. and since i am trying to find F_x right? then i would evaluate W=[tex]\int[/tex]pEsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-find the derivative and i would have my answer right? i worked it out except for the p part of the equation. i know that p is a constant so to find the derivative?
Dick
Oct6-07, 12:56 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
I give up. Can somebody else take this post please? I really give up.
jhess12
Oct6-07, 01:33 AM
sorry dont bother
learningphysics
Oct6-07, 02:11 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,124
Given the potential U... the force is:

[tex]\vec{F} = -\bigtriangledown{U}[/tex]

In other words: Fx = -dU/dx. Fy = -dU/dy. Fz = -dU/dz.

Once you know U, you can immediately get the force...

What is U?

As Dick mentions:

[tex]U = -\vec{p}\cdot\vec{E}[/tex]

so

[tex]U = -(pcos(\theta), psin(\theta),0)\cdot (E(x),0,0)[/tex]

so that gives [tex]U = -E(x) pcos(\theta)[/tex]

now you can directly get the components of the force using Fx = -dU/dx. Fy = -dU/dy. Fz = -dU/dz.

the important thing here is that E(x) is only a function of x... it is independent of y and z.

So you should be able to get your result directly using Fx = -dU/dx
jhess12
Oct6-07, 02:30 AM
thank you so much, im sorry i didnt get it before, now that you explain it, it seems so simple like i thought, i just dont know why i didnt get it before. sorry dick.
Dick
Oct6-07, 12:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by jhess12 View Post
thank you so much, im sorry i didnt get it before, now that you explain it, it seems so simple like i thought, i just dont know why i didnt get it before. sorry dick.
Sometimes having somebody else say the same thing makes all the difference. Sorry, I lost patience as well.

Register to reply