Two Rotational Motion Questions

by ccsmarty
Tags: motion, rotational
ccsmarty
Oct16-07, 09:12 PM
P: 17
The first one:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) A compact disc (CD) stores music in a coded pattern of tiny pits 10^-7 m deep. The pits are arranged in a track that spirals outward toward the rim of the disc; the inner and outer radii of this spiral are 25.0 mm and 58.0 mm , respectively. As the disc spins inside a CD player, the track is scanned at a constant linear speed of 1.25 m/s. What is the average angular acceleration of a maximum-duration CD during its 74.0-min playing time? Take the direction of rotation of the disc to be positive.

2. Relevant equations

alpha_avg = (omega_2 - omega_1) / (t2 - t1)
omega_inner = 50.0 rad/s
omega_outer = 21.6 rad/s

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to take the average of the inner and outer angular velocities, and put that in for omega_2, and find the average that way, but I don't think I can do that.

The second one:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2) At t = 0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 27.0 rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 26.0 rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t = 2.00 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433 rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration. At what time did it stop?

2. Relevant equations

omega_2 = omega_1 + alpha * t
delta_2 - delta_1 = omega_1 * t + 0.5 * alpha * t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using a system of equations using the two equations above to solve for t, but I can't seem to get the right t value.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated on either problem. Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
learningphysics
Oct17-07, 06:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,125
For the first problem, your omega_inner and omega_outer look good to me. Why not just take (omega_outer - omega_inner)/(74*60)... that should be the answer.

For the second problem, think of the angular velocity and acceleration, just like kinematics formulas...

What is the angular velocity at t = 2?

Then you can use the equation,

angle traversed = [(omega_1 + omega_2)/2]*t, so solve for how long it takes to go through the 433 rad...
ccsmarty
Oct17-07, 10:09 PM
P: 17
Ok, thanks so much for your help. It makes more sense this way, than the way I initially tried to tackle the problems.
Thanks again :)

Register to reply