How to calculate angular speed?

In summary: Thank you for catching that error.Yes, that's right. Thank you for catching that error.In summary, a car traveling at 29.0 m/s with a constant negative acceleration of 1.75 m/s2 experiences 115.9 revolutions before coming to a stop, assuming no skidding and tires with a radius of 0.330 m. However, when traveling half the total distance, the angular speed of the wheels is not half of the final angular speed, as the car does not have a constant speed. The correct calculation involves dividing the total time by two, which gives an angular speed of 62.1 rad/s.
Romain Nzebele

Homework Statement

A car initially traveling at 29.0 m/s undergoes a constant negative acceleration of magnitude 1.75 m/s2after its brakes are applied. (a) How many revolutions does each tire make before the car comes to a stop, assuming the car does not skid and the tires have radii of 0.330 m? (b) What is the angular speed of the wheels when the car has traveled half the total distance?

Homework Equations

Theta=(omega0)t+(1/2)(alpha)(t^2)
avergealpha=(omegafinale-omegainitial)/time
averageacceleration= (Vf-Vo)/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a)
First, I found the change in time by dividing 29 by 1.75 and obtained 16.57 s. Second, I multiplied the given acceleration by the radius to obtain the angular acceleration. I got -5.30rad/s^2. Third, I calculated theta using the above formula and I got 728.40 rads. Fourth, I divided 728.40 by 2pi and I got 115.9 revolutions.
For part (b)
First, I divided 16.57 seconds by two and got 8.285 seconds. Second I used the second formula above. I took omegafinale as 0 and time as 8.285 and calculated omegainitial to be 43.91 rad/s.

I got the right answer for part (a) but the textbook gives 62.1 rad/s for part (b). I don't understand how they got 62.1 rad/s as their answer. Can someone tell me what I did wrong in my reasoning or math? I will appreciate it very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Romain Nzebele said:
First, I divided 16.57 seconds by two and got 8.285 seconds.
That's half the total time. But what you need is when half the distance is traveled.

Doc Al said:
That's half the total time. But what you need is when half the distance is traveled.
But doesn't the car need half the time to travel half the distance since the deceleration is constant?

Doc Al said:
Oh, we don't have a constant speed in this case so we can't use half the time, right?

Romain Nzebele said:
Oh, we don't have a constant speed in this case so we can't use half the time, right?
Exactly!

Doc Al said:
Exactly!
Okay, thank you so very much.

I multiplied the given acceleration by the radius to obtain the angular acceleration.

Just have to correct one error in the dialog above. You got the right answer for α, therefore what you did was DIVIDE the given acceleration by the radius. α = a/r

sojsail said:
Just have to correct one error in the dialog above. You got the right answer for α, therefore what you did was DIVIDE the given acceleration by the radius. α = a/r
Yes, that's right.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving around a central point, typically measured in radians per second.

How do I calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position (in radians) by the change in time. The formula for angular speed is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

What are the units for angular speed?

The units for angular speed are typically radians per second (rad/s), although degrees per second (deg/s) can also be used.

Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative if the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. This can happen if the object is slowing down or changing direction.

What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate of change of angular position, while linear speed measures the rate of change of linear position. Angular speed is typically measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.