Gravity = Megnetic Attraction?

In summary, this idea has been tried before, but it doesn't hold up under scrutiny. It's possible that it could help with quantum gravity, but it's not likely.
Tom Naprstek
I'm a first year physics student, so I don't know too much about advanced physics, though I try to read a lot of physics books, mainly on Grand Unified Theories and such. Yesterday when I was in my physics class, a thought came to me. Could gravity be completely be explained by magnetism? What I mean is, could the net charge of the entire planet account for gravity? And since objects (like people, animals, etc.) all experience the same basic attraction since we are all so small (and therefore a small net charge) in comparison to the Earth?

I tried to look some of this up on the Internet, but I couldn't really find anything that made sense to me. Could someone explain to me if this idea has been tried before (I assume that it has been), and if this is possible? And if so, could it help with Quantum Gravity, as in both cases magnetic attraction would be acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Naprstek said:
the net charge of the entire planet account for gravity? And since objects (like people, animals, etc.) all experience the same basic attraction since we are all so small (and therefore a small net charge) in comparison to the Earth?
Well, then we should have repulsion also.

If you look at the the magnetic component of the Lorentz force you'll see that it's different from the gravitational force and it depends on the velocity of the particle. So, the answer is no.

Tom Naprstek said:
I'm a first year physics student, so I don't know too much about advanced physics, though I try to read a lot of physics books, mainly on Grand Unified Theories and such. Yesterday when I was in my physics class, a thought came to me. Could gravity be completely be explained by magnetism? What I mean is, could the net charge of the entire planet account for gravity? And since objects (like people, animals, etc.) all experience the same basic attraction since we are all so small (and therefore a small net charge) in comparison to the Earth?

I tried to look some of this up on the Internet, but I couldn't really find anything that made sense to me. Could someone explain to me if this idea has been tried before (I assume that it has been), and if this is possible? And if so, could it help with Quantum Gravity, as in both cases magnetic attraction would be acceptable?

You need to reconcile these before you make up such a hypothesis:

1. There are no "sources" of magnetic field, i.e. no monopoles. But we have sources of gravitational field (objects with masses).

2. Because of #1, you can have a non-zero divergence of gravitational field (i.e. you can have a Gauss's law). You don't have that with magnetic field.

3. Try to find the curl of gravitational field and then do the same with magnetic field. Do you get the same type of result?

There are many things that may look "similar" when looking from "very far", but the DETAILS are usually what kill these similarities. This is before delving into the more exotic aspect of quantum field theory.

Zz.

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to know a bit about it. Looks like I'll have to wait a few more years before I'll really be able to understand this well though.

1. How is gravity related to magnetic attraction?

Gravity and magnetic attraction are both fundamental forces of nature that act on objects at a distance. While gravity is the force of attraction between objects with mass, magnetic attraction is the force between objects with electric charge or magnetic poles. Both forces operate on similar principles, but act on different properties of matter.

2. Can gravity and magnetic attraction be considered the same thing?

No, gravity and magnetic attraction are separate forces with distinct mechanisms. While gravity is caused by the curvature of spacetime, magnetic attraction is a result of the alignment of magnetic fields. They may have similar effects, such as attracting objects towards each other, but they are fundamentally different forces.

3. How does magnetic attraction affect gravity on Earth?

The Earth has a magnetic field that is generated by its core. This magnetic field interacts with the gravitational force, but does not directly affect it. However, the magnetic field can deflect charged particles from the sun, which can affect Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns. This can indirectly impact gravity by changing the distribution of mass on Earth's surface.

4. Is there a relationship between the strength of gravity and magnetic attraction?

There is no direct relationship between the strength of gravity and magnetic attraction. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them, while the strength of magnetic attraction depends on the magnetic fields and the charge or magnetic poles of the objects. However, both forces can be influenced by the presence of other forces or objects.

5. Can gravity and magnetic attraction be explained by the same theory?

Currently, gravity is explained by the theory of general relativity, while magnetic attraction is explained by the theory of electromagnetism. While scientists are still working towards a unified theory that can explain all fundamental forces, these two theories are currently separate and have not been merged.