What is the meaning of the symbol that looks like \ni in mathematics?

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the symbol \ni is commonly used in set-builder notation to mean "such that". Some people may find it confusing as it is similar to the symbol \in which means "in". However, it is still a valid notation and is used by some professors. Most people tend to use the abbreviation s.t instead. However, it is not commonly used in textbooks.
futurebird
My prof writes this symbol that looks (sort of) like this [tex]\ni[/tex] for "such that"

I just write the words "such that" in my notes...

But what is this symbol? I just choose the latex that looked most like what's on the board... is it the right one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well in set builder notation usually [tex]\in[/tex] means "in" and "|" for "such that". Eg [tex]S=\{ k \in \mathbb{Q} | \sqrt{k} \in \mathbb{C} \} [/tex] means the set S is equal to the set of rational numbers such that sqrt k is a complex number.

futurebird said:
My prof writes this symbol that looks (sort of) like this [tex]\ni[/tex] for "such that"

But what is this symbol? I just choose the latex that looked most like what's on the board... is it the right one?

I was introduced with this notation back when i started calculus. However most people use s.t rather than that.

futurebird said:

I think that if your professor does use that symbol, then it's very confusing. As Gib Z says, [itex]\in[/itex] means a member of and so the backward version means exactly the same: e.g. [itex]\mathbb{N}\ni n[/itex].

leon1127 said:
I was introduced with this notation back when i started calculus. However most people use s.t rather than that.

Okay. I just wanted to know if anyone else had seen it. I don't find it that confusing... I wanted to know if this is what it looked like becuse my prof writes it in this odd way.

The symbol for "such that" and epsilon has a bit difference. The symbol is larger. But I haven't seen anything springer book using that symbol for such that.

1. What is the significance of the weird symbol?

The significance of the weird symbol depends on its context. It could be a mathematical or scientific symbol, a symbol from a specific culture or religion, or simply a symbol that has no specific meaning.

2. Where did the weird symbol originate from?

The origin of the weird symbol can vary depending on its specific meaning. Some symbols have been around for centuries and have a long history, while others may have been created more recently for a specific purpose.

3. Can the weird symbol be translated into words or numbers?

Some symbols can be translated into words or numbers, while others do not have a direct translation. It depends on the symbol and its specific meaning.

4. Is the weird symbol used in any particular field or subject?

The use of the weird symbol can vary depending on its meaning. It could be used in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or even in fields such as music or art.

5. How do I interpret the meaning of the weird symbol?

The interpretation of the weird symbol depends on its context and the specific field or subject it is used in. It is important to research the symbol and its meaning in order to interpret it correctly.