What is the Meaning of δ in δΓ?

• I
  • Thread starter AleksanderPhy
  • Start date
In summary, the symbol δΓ can have multiple meanings in mathematics, but in this context, it is likely referring to the Kronecker delta, a function of two variables that is 1 when the variables are equal and 0 otherwise. More information and context would be needed to determine the specific meaning of δ in this equation.
AleksanderPhy
Hello I have seen this symbol in many equations it looks like this:δΓ. I know that Γ means (that is Cristoffel symbol) but I don't know what δ means. Does anybody know?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Differential of a path function is δ...Differential of a state function is d...

AleksanderPhy said:
Hello I have seen this symbol in many equations it looks like this:δΓ. I know that Γ means (that is Cristoffel symbol) but I don't know what δ means. Does anybody know?

[1] " In mathematics, the Kronecker delta (named after Leopold Kronecker) is a function of two variables, usually just positive integers. The function is 1 if the variables are equal, and 0 otherwise:
δ i j = { 0 if i ≠ j , 1 if i = j . {\displaystyle \delta _{ij}={\begin{cases}0&{\text{if }}i\neq j,\\1&{\text{if }}i=j.\end{cases}}} https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/904297d67d13919327bab9243517aef32e96c550
where the Kronecker delta δij is a piecewise function of variables i and j. For example, δ1 2 = 0, whereas δ3 3 = 1."
Note: this did not copy and paste properly. " {\displaystyle \delta _{ij}={\begin{cases}0&{\text{if }}i\neq j,\\1&{\text{if }}i=j.\end{cases}}}" See the referenced link.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta

but i m sure differential of path function is also δ

It has several meanings, like any other symbol used in maths.

hmmm...thats it...its quite confusing...

Many thanks I thought so that it was Kronecker delta

It is impossible to give you an answer to this question without more information and context.

1. What is δ in δΓ?

δ is a symbol in mathematics that represents a small change or variation in a quantity. In the context of δΓ, it is used to represent a small change in the Greek letter Γ, which typically represents a function or variable.

2. What does δΓ mean?

δΓ is a mathematical notation that represents the change or derivative of the quantity Γ. It is commonly used in calculus and physics to calculate rates of change, such as velocity or acceleration.

3. How is δΓ different from ΔΓ?

While both symbols represent changes in a quantity, δΓ specifically refers to a small or infinitesimal change, while ΔΓ represents a larger or finite change. This difference is important in the context of calculus, where infinitesimal changes are used to derive equations for rates of change.

4. What is the significance of δΓ in science?

δΓ is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of calculus and physics. It allows scientists to quantitatively measure and analyze rates of change, which is crucial in understanding and predicting natural phenomena.

5. Can δΓ be applied to any type of function or variable?

Yes, δΓ can be applied to any type of function or variable, as long as it represents a quantity that can change. This includes physical quantities like position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as mathematical functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.