Strontium Chloride + Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate -> ?

• Thread starter Joe.Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, in a lab experiment, Strontium Chloride and Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate were reacted to form Strontium Sulphate and Copper (II) Chloride. Strontium Sulphate precipitated in white crystals while Copper (II) Chloride remained dissolved in water, forming a bluish solution.
Joe.Z
Strontium Chloride + Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate --> ?

Well, I did a lab in class a few days ago, where we were to react Strontium Chloride with Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate, and determine what the precipitate formed was.

Here's how the lab worked. We took 2.00g samples of each salt, and dissolved them in about 10ml of water, then mixed the dissolved salts together, once the reaction occurred, the precipitate and the liquid were poured into a funnel lined with filter paper, the blue liquid trickled down into a beaker underneath, and the precipitate stayed on the filter paper. Once the draining was finished, the filter paper with the precipitate was allowed to dry out for a day. A white powder was formed. Forgot to add in that before the precipitate and liquid were drained, extra water was added to dissolve any excess crystals in the solution.

My problem is, I don't know what the powder is, or the blue liquid that drained out was. Initially I predicted the products to be Copper (II) Chloride, Strontium Sulphate, and Water, but I realized it didn't make sense, seeing as the precipitate wasn't a clear crystal, and none of my predicted products formed a blue liquid. Can someone help me?

EDIT: Noticed I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies, perhaps someone could move it to the correct area.

Joe

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Joe.Z said:
Well, I did a lab in class a few days ago, where we were to react Strontium Chloride with Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate, and determine what the precipitate formed was.

Here's how the lab worked. We took 2.00g samples of each salt, and dissolved them in about 10ml of water, then mixed the dissolved salts together, once the reaction occurred, the precipitate and the liquid were poured into a funnel lined with filter paper, the blue liquid trickled down into a beaker underneath, and the precipitate stayed on the filter paper. Once the draining was finished, the filter paper with the precipitate was allowed to dry out for a day. A white powder was formed. Forgot to add in that before the precipitate and liquid were drained, extra water was added to dissolve any excess crystals in the solution.

My problem is, I don't know what the powder is, or the blue liquid that drained out was. Initially I predicted the products to be Copper (II) Chloride, Strontium Sulphate, and Water, but I realized it didn't make sense, seeing as the precipitate wasn't a clear crystal, and none of my predicted products formed a blue liquid. Can someone help me?

EDIT: Noticed I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies, perhaps someone could move it to the correct area.

Joe

Sr(Cl)2 + CuSO4 --> SrSO4 + Cu(Cl)2

SrSO4 precipitates in white crystals;
Cu(Cl)2 stays dissolved in water forming a bluish solution.

Based on your description, the reaction between Strontium Chloride (SrCl2) and Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate (CuSO4·5H2O) likely produced Strontium Sulphate (SrSO4) and Copper (II) Chloride (CuCl2). The blue liquid that drained out was most likely excess Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate that did not react with the Strontium Chloride. The white powder that formed on the filter paper is the Strontium Sulphate precipitate. The excess water added before draining likely helped dissolve any remaining Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate and allowed it to drain out with the blue liquid.

It is important to note that in a lab setting, reactions may not always go as predicted and it is important to analyze the products using other methods, such as spectroscopy, to confirm their identities. Additionally, always make sure to properly label and record your observations during a lab to avoid confusion.

1. What is the reaction between strontium chloride and copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate?

The reaction between strontium chloride and copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate is a double displacement reaction, also known as a precipitation reaction. This means that the two compounds exchange ions to form two new compounds, one of which is insoluble and precipitates out of solution.

2. What are the products of the reaction between strontium chloride and copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate?

The products of this reaction are strontium sulphate and copper (II) chloride. The strontium sulphate formed is insoluble and will appear as a white precipitate, while the copper (II) chloride remains in solution.

3. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between strontium chloride and copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: SrCl2 + CuSO4 * 5H2O -> SrSO4 + CuCl2 + 5H2O. This equation shows the exchange of ions between the two compounds, resulting in the formation of the products.

4. What is the purpose of using strontium chloride in this reaction?

Strontium chloride is used in this reaction as a source of strontium ions. These ions will react with the sulphate ions from copper (II) sulphate to form insoluble strontium sulphate. This allows for the separation and identification of strontium from the original compound.

5. What are some practical applications of this reaction?

This reaction can be used in qualitative analysis to identify the presence of strontium ions in a compound. It can also be used in the production of pigments, as strontium sulphate is commonly used in the production of white paints and coatings. Additionally, the reaction can be used in laboratory experiments to demonstrate the concept of double displacement reactions and the formation of precipitates.