Supposedly simple double integral

by raynoodles
Tags: double, integral, simple, supposedly
Share this thread:
raynoodles
Nov3-07, 02:56 PM
P: 4
double integral of xy dA
in the triangular region of (0,0), (3,0), (0,1).
my problem that I am having is finding the limits I am suposed to find dx or dy in. I figure I should use 0 to 3 for dx, but then i do dy from 0 to what? Help appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Avodyne
Nov3-07, 03:25 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,204
Try drawing a picture of the region. Then, for a given value of x, what values of y lie within the region? This gives you the limits of integration for y, given x. (Of course, you must then do the y integral before you do the x integral.)
raynoodles
Nov3-07, 08:44 PM
so then the parameters for y would be: 0 to x/3?

HallsofIvy
Nov4-07, 06:33 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,533
Supposedly simple double integral

Yes, because the upper boundary is the line y= x/3.

It is a very good exercise to "swap" the limits of integration. Suppose you wanted to integrate with respect to x first and then y? Clearly to cover the entire triangle, you must take y going from 0 to 1. For each y, then, x must go from the left boundary, x= 0, to the "right" boundary which is still that line y= x/3. That is, x must go from x= 0 to x= what? Do the integral of xy both ways and see if you get the same thing.
raynoodles
Nov4-07, 04:22 PM
I used the parameters dy= 0 to 1 and dx= 0 to -3y+3 and got 2.375.
the answer was wrong.
I did it the other way with dy=0 to x/3+1 and dx= 0 to 3 and got another wrong answer.
what am I doing wrong?

Register to reply