Reversing the order of integration in a double integral

In summary, you are trying to integrate y2-4x but you are getting confused when reversing the order of integration. You should omit the -4x from the integration calculation in the right half. The answer of the total integral is 2/5 which you got by dividing the region into horizontal strips and then performing the integrals.
dyn
Homework Statement
Calculate the double integral of y^2 - 4x over the following region -y^2 < x < y^2 , 0 < y < 1
Relevant Equations
I did the integral by dividing the region into strips parallel to the x-axis and got the answer 2/5 which i know is correct but i am trying to reverse the order of integration but i can't get the same answer
Performing the x-integration first the limit are x=y2 and x= -y2 and then the y limits are 0 to 1. This gives the final answer 2/5

But i am getting confused when trying to reverse the order of integration. My attempt is that i have to divide the region in 2 equal halfs and then double my answer at the end. I used y limits from √x to 1 and x limits from 0 to 1 but i am ending up with the answer zero ! Where am i going wrong with my limits here ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The integration is
[tex]\int_S (y^2-4x) \ dS[/tex]
Area S is two-side-curved triangle with vertex (0,0),(1,-1),(1,1)

dyn said:
My attempt is that i have to divide the region in 2 equal halfs and then double my answer at the end.

That' good for integrand y^2 but not for -4x because of antisymmetry it cancels by right plus and left minus of y-axis
[tex]\int_S (-4x) \ dS=0[/tex]
You should omit it from integration calculation in right half.

The answer of the total integral is 2/5 which i got my dividing the region into horizontal strips. If i divide the region into 2 equal halfs along the line x=0 and perform the 2 integrals using horizontal strips i get IR = 0 and IL = 2/5 which when added together give my total answer of 2/5.

If i now use vertical strips for both halfs , i can get IR = 0 as it should but i cannot get 2/5 for IL. I am struggling with the limits because they involve square roots of negative numbers. Is this an example of where reversing the order of integration is impossible to perform or extremely difficult ? Or am i just missing something when trying to perform the integral on the LHS using vertical strips ?

[tex]I=\int (y^2-4x) dS = \int y^2\ dS -4 \int x\ dS[/tex]
By vertical strips for halfs
[tex]I=\int y^2\ dS_R+ \int y^2\ dS_L -4 \int x\ dS_R-4 \int x\ dS_L[/tex]
[tex] =2\int y^2\ dS_R[/tex]
because
[tex]\int y^2\ dS_R= \int y^2\ dS_L[/tex]
[tex] \int x\ dS_R=- \int x\ dS_L[/tex]
You said right half integration of y^2-4x is zero so I assume
[tex]I=1/5 + 1/5 - 1/5 + 1/5[/tex]
Confirm this by integration of each term if you please.

Likes etotheipi
To perform the integral over the RH region using vertical strips i integrate (y2-4x) wrt y from √x to 1 ; i then integrate 1/3 - 2x +(5/3)x3/2 wrt x from 0 to 1. This gives a final answer of 0 which is the same answer as expected if i integrated using horizontal strips.
The problem comes when i try to integrate y2=4x over the LH side using vertical strips

dyn said:
The problem comes when i try to integrate y2=4x over the LH side using vertical strips
[tex]\int^0_{-1} dx \int_{\sqrt{-x}}^1 dy (y^2-4x)=\int^0_{-1} dx\ [y^3/3-4xy]_{y=\sqrt{-x}}^{y=1}[/tex]
RH side
[tex]\int^1_0 dx \int_{\sqrt{x}}^1 dy (y^2-4x)=\int^1_0 dx\ [y^3/3-4xy]_{y=\sqrt{x}}^{y=1}[/tex]

i apologise ; i was writing this late at night. The function to be integrated is y2- 2x
It's late again so i will look at this again when i wake

Do not worry. It does not matter on the result of integration.

N.B. you can also do$$\begin{align*}
\int_S (y^2 - 4x) dy dx &= 2\int_{S_R} y^2 dy dx\\

&= 2\int_0^1 \int_0^{y^2} y^2 dx dy\\

&= 2\int_0^1 y^4 dy\\

&= \frac{2}{5}

\end{align*}
$$which also agrees with @anuttarasammyak's solution.

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\int^0_{-1} dx \int_{\sqrt{-x}}^1 dy (y^2-4x)=\int^0_{-1} dx\ [y^3/3-4xy]_{y=\sqrt{-x}}^{y=1}[/tex]
I am still not getting the correct answer for integral using vertical strips over the LHS. The function to be integrated is actually y2 -2x
Using the limits you have given i get
1/3 - 2x -(5/3)(-x)5/2 to be integrated from -1 to 0 giving me a final answer of 2 which is still wrong

Changing the coefficient to 2 and introducing -x=t
[tex]I_L=\int_0^1 dt [y^3/3 +2ty]_{y=\sqrt t}^{y=1}=I_1+I_2[/tex]
corresponding to
[tex]I_R=\int_0^1 dx [y^3/3 -2xy]_{y=\sqrt x}^{y=1}=I_1-I_2[/tex]
where
[tex]I_1=\int_0^1 dt [y^3/3]_{y=\sqrt t}^{y=1}=1/5[/tex]
[tex]I_2=\int_0^1 dt [2ty]_{y=\sqrt t}^{y=1}=1/5[/tex]
though we do not have to calculate ##I_2## to get the answer.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
The answer should be 2/5 and the function to be integrated is y2 -2x.

Integrating this wrt y gives y3/3 - 2xy

Inserting the limits of y from√(-x) to1 gives the following

1/3 - 2x - [ (-x)3/2/3 - 2x(-x)1/2] = 1/3 - 2x - (7/3)(-x)3/2

Integrating this wrt x gives x/3 - x2 - (14/15)(-x)5/2

Inserting the limits of x from -1 to 0 give the final answer

(1/3) + 1 + (14/15) = 34/15

I have spent hours on this problem in total and i can't get the answer 2/5 by using vertical strips ! It is easy using horizontal strips but i wanted to check that i could do it using vertical strips but i can't !

I think the substitution mentioned in post 11 is the best way to proceed. Otherwise I think the ## -x ## to the fractional power is causing problems that aren't readily resolved.
Edit: I think I see the problem though: In the integration, in going from ##3/2 ## to ##5/2 ## in the exponent, you introduce another minus sign, which alternatively, you can apply the chain rule and check your integration by taking derivatives, and I think you are off by a minus sign on that term.

Last edited:
Likes dyn and anuttarasammyak
dyn said:
1/3 - 2x - [ (-x)3/2/3 - 2x(-x)1/2] = 1/3 - 2x - (7/3)(-x)3/2
How did you integrate the RHS last term,
[tex]-\frac{7}{3}\int_{-1}^0 (-x)^{3/2} dx[/tex]?

Likes dyn and Charles Link
dyn said:

Inserting the limits of x from -1 to 0 give the final answer

(1/3) + 1 + (14/15) = 34/15
Sign errors when you plugged in -1.

Observe: ##dy/dx=(-7/3)(-x)^{3/2} ##.
##y=+(14/15)(-x)^{5/2} ##. Take the derivative with the chain rule, and you will see I have the sign right. The OP has it incorrect.

Last edited:
Likes dyn
Thank you everyone so much. It was driving me nuts ! Yes , it was that negative sign when integrating the (-x). I am so relieved. Thank you all again !

Likes Charles Link

1. What does it mean to reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

Reversing the order of integration in a double integral means changing the order in which the limits of integration are evaluated. This involves switching the roles of the inner and outer integrals.

2. Why would you want to reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

There are a few reasons why you may want to reverse the order of integration in a double integral. It can make the integral easier to evaluate, it can help to visualize the region of integration, and it can also be necessary for certain types of problems.

3. How do you reverse the order of integration in a double integral?

To reverse the order of integration in a double integral, you need to switch the limits of integration and the order in which the integrals are evaluated. This can involve changing the order of the variables and adjusting the limits accordingly.

4. Can you reverse the order of integration in any double integral?

No, not all double integrals can have their order of integration reversed. It is only possible when the region of integration is "nice" and can be described by a simple set of limits.

5. What are some common mistakes when reversing the order of integration in a double integral?

Some common mistakes when reversing the order of integration in a double integral include forgetting to switch the limits, using the wrong order for the variables, and incorrectly setting up the new limits of integration. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these errors.