Mastering physics answers wrong

In summary, there have been instances where students have received incorrect answers from Mastering Physics while using the program for homework. This has been observed in a simple work problem involving a force pushing a block up a ramp, where the program's answer for the normal force was incorrect. It is important to double check their answers and make sure all units are in SI format.
jcksn34
[SOLVED] mastering physics answers wrong

just wanted to know if anyone else is using the program mastering physics for homework and getting wrong answers to the questions. This has happened to me a few times and I am sure their answers are completely wrong. For example a simple work problem with a force pushing a block up a ramp. when asked for the work in joules of friction force you find first the normal force multiply that by the coefficient of friction then substitute in the formula W=F times displacement times cos theta correct? And normal force is perpendicular to the plane of the incline. For example the explanation of their answer normal force of a 1 kg box being pushed up an incline was equal to 9.8N? which is not right if normal force is perpendicular the plane of the incline. am i crazy or is this program giving wrong answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
jcksn34 said:
just wanted to know if anyone else is using the program mastering physics for homework and getting wrong answers to the questions. This has happened to me a few times and I am sure their answers are completely wrong. For example a simple work problem with a force pushing a block up a ramp. when asked for the work in joules of friction force you find first the normal force multiply that by the coefficient of friction then substitute in the formula W=F times displacement times cos theta correct? And normal force is perpendicular to the plane of the incline. For example the explanation of their answer normal force of a 1 kg box being pushed up an incline was equal to 9.8N? which is not right if normal force is perpendicular the plane of the incline. am i crazy or is this program giving wrong answers?

Copy and paste the problem in here, and people will be able to judge it better. The chances of mastering physics having wrong answers is very rare.

I disagree gills. I tutor General Physics at my university and I have had problems with Mastering Physics as well. It's not out of the question for Mastering Physics to have wrong answers. I have seen it myself. It is also very strict with units. Make sure all your data is given in SI units and make sure it wants the answer in SI units!

I am no fan of Mastering Physics either! Good luck putting up with it!:smile:

A block of mass 1.00kg sits on an inclined plane as shown. A force of magnitude 100N is pulling the block up the incline at constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the plane and the block is 0.500. The inclined plane makes an angle 30.0 degrees with the horizontal.

What is the total work done on the block by the force of friction as the block moves a distance 8.00 up the incline?

mastering physics answer = -39.2 joules

Mastering physics explanation=
Hint 1. Find the magnitude of the normal force

What is the magnitude of the normal force?
Hint 1. How to find the normal force
Consider all the forces that have a non-zero component along the direction perpendicular to the slope. There are only two such forces: the weight of the block and force .
What is the magnittude of the component of the weight perpendicular to the slope? Draw the axes and label the angles clearly to find out.

Their normal force answer
=9.80N

Their friction force answer
=4.90

The normal force in this case should be:

[tex]F_N = mg \cos(30^o)=9.8(.866)=8.48N[/tex]

Yeah, I think Mastering Physics screwed up here.

thank you, that's what i got too, now i know to double check their answers if I am unsure instead of wasting a half hour trying to figure out how to get a wrong answer lol!

1. Why do I keep getting the wrong answers in mastering physics?

There could be multiple reasons for this. It could be due to a miscalculation or error in your input values, a misunderstanding of the concepts or equations, or a glitch in the system. Make sure to double check your calculations and understanding of the problem before submitting your answer, and if you are confident in your work, reach out to your instructor for further clarification.

2. Can I get credit for partially correct answers in mastering physics?

It depends on your instructor's grading policy. Some may give partial credit for showing work or using the correct approach, while others may only give full credit for completely correct answers. It's best to check with your instructor for their specific guidelines.

3. What should I do if I believe there is an error in the mastering physics system?

If you believe there is an error in the system, you can reach out to the customer support team for Mastering Physics. They will investigate the issue and make any necessary corrections. In the meantime, you can also reach out to your instructor for assistance.

4. How can I improve my scores in mastering physics?

First, make sure you have a strong understanding of the concepts and equations being tested. Review any material that you are struggling with and practice solving problems. It may also be helpful to work with a study group or seek additional help from your instructor or a tutor. Additionally, pay attention to any feedback provided by the system on incorrect answers and use it to improve your understanding.

5. Is there a limit to the number of attempts I can make for a mastering physics problem?

Yes, there is usually a limit set by your instructor for the number of attempts allowed for each problem. This is to encourage you to review and improve your understanding of the material rather than repeatedly guessing until you get the correct answer. If you have reached the limit and are still struggling with the problem, reach out to your instructor for assistance.