Does coefficient of kinetic friction depend on speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the coefficient of kinetic friction and speed. The equation used to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction depends on acceleration, which is related to speed in some way. The question of whether or not the coefficient depends on speed is debated, with some suggesting that a change in speed would change the acceleration and ultimately affect the coefficient. The data shows that the trials with higher deceleration have a higher coefficient of kinetic friction, but it is also questioned if the deceleration and coefficient were constant during each individual trial. The quantities measured include velocity and acceleration, which were used to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction and friction force.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Does the coefficient of kinetic friction depend on speed? Explain, using your experimental data.
Relevant Equations
uKmg=m(-a)
In this part of the lab we pushed a block on a flat table and let it slide until it stopped. So it is decelerating with no force being applied to it while moving. In this case acceleration is negative. The only force acting on it is kinetic friction. Therefore I have come up with the following equation to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.56.00 PM.png

Now the question in my lab ask does the coefficient depend on speed. I am inclined to answer no because according to my equation it depends on acceleration, but on the other hand acceleration is technically the change of velocity which is the change of speed. It related to speed in some way.

Am I overthinking this? Should the answer just be no it is not related to speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
according to my equation it depends on acceleration
Or does your equation says acceleration depends on the coefficient of friction?
Put it this way, how would you change the acceleration, keeping all else the same, in order to observe a different coefficient of friction?

Likes guyvsdcsniper and Lnewqban
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Does the coefficient of kinetic friction depend on speed? Explain, using your experimental data.

Now the question in my lab ask does the coefficient depend on speed.
In the lab', did you measure ##\mu_k## for different initial speeds (keeping all other conditions the same)? The results of such measurements can be used to answer the question (for the range of speeds investigated).

Likes guyvsdcsniper
During your test, the velocity is changing. In order for the coefficient of kinetic friction to be independent of velocity, the acceleration would have to be constant. Is your distance vs time graph consistent with the acceleration being constant? If you are measuring velocity vs time, is the relationship linear?

Last edited:
Likes guyvsdcsniper
haruspex said:
Or does your equation says acceleration depends on the coefficient of friction?
Put it this way, how would you change the acceleration, keeping all else the same, in order to observe a different coefficient of friction?
Well, keeping all else to stay the same, a change in speed would change the the acceleration. So ultimately speed does play a factor in order to observe a different coefficient.

That makes sense to me. Does that sound right or am I still off?

quittingthecult said:
Well, keeping all else to stay the same, a change in speed would change the the acceleration. So ultimately speed does play a factor in order to observe a different coefficient.

That makes sense to me. Does that sound right or am I still off?
What does your data show?

Chestermiller said:
What does your data show?

The trials with higher deceleration have a higher coefficient of kinetic friction. Deceleration being a change in velocity which is a change in speed. I guess there is my answer right there?

Do you really think that the deceleration and coefficient of kinetic friction were constant during each individual trial?

Chestermiller said:
Do you really think that the deceleration and coefficient of kinetic friction were constant during each individual trial?
Well when I think about it makes sense that they would be constant. The block gets pushed and then comes to a stop due to the coefficient of kinetic friction. That would be the only force acting on it in the horizontal direction.

@quittingthecult, could you tell us:
- what quantities you measured?
- how you calculated acceleration from these measurements?

quittingthecult said:
Well when I think about it makes sense that they would be constant. The block gets pushed and then comes to a stop due to the coefficient of kinetic friction. That would be the only force acting on it in the horizontal direction.
Really? Who says that the force acting on it in the horizontal direction is constant?

Suppose that ##\mu_k=\mu_k(v)## so that $$ma=m\frac{dv}{dt}=-mg\mu_k(v)$$ or$$\frac{dv}{dt}=-g\mu_k(v)$$so that $$\frac{dv}{\mu_k(v)}=-gdt$$

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Steve4Physics said:
@quittingthecult, could you tell us:
- what quantities you measured?
- how you calculated acceleration from these measurements?
We used a motion detector to measure the velocity over a period of time. From that we were able to find the slope which was the acceleration. In this case the block was given an initial push and allowed to come to rest. The slope of the graph from push to rest was a linear slope downward which indicates the is decelerating.

So the only quantity I had was acceleration. With only that quantity I was left to find the coefficient of static friction and the Force of the kinetic friction. I used this formula
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.56.00 PM.png
to find the coefficient. I then used that coefficient to find the kinetic friction force.Below are my results:
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.13.02 AM.png

Likes Steve4Physics
Let’s see a graph of velocity vs time for an individual trial.

Likes Steve4Physics
Chestermiller said:
Id have to get back to you on that. Not sure when I will get the data from my professor as this was all done on his computer.

quittingthecult said:
We used a motion detector to measure the velocity over a period of time. From that we were able to find the slope which was the acceleration. In this case the block was given an initial push and allowed to come to rest. The slope of the graph from push to rest was a linear slope downward which indicates the is decelerating.

So the only quantity I had was acceleration. With only that quantity I was left to find the coefficient of static friction and the Force of the kinetic friction. I used this formula View attachment 279645 to find the coefficient. I then used that coefficient to find the kinetic friction force.Below are my results:
View attachment 279646
Your table gives average acceleration (and hence average ##\mu_k##) during each run.

You have quite a wide spread of values (more than ±25%). Any suggestions why there’s such a large spread?

If ##\mu_k## depends on speed, then the frictional force, and hence acceleration, would change as the object slows down. This would result in acceleration changing during a run.

Do you have enough data to produce a velocity-time graph for each run? (If ##\mu_k## didn’t depend on velocity, what would the velocity-time graph look like?)

Chestermiller said:
You beat me to it.

Do you have the data on the coefficient of friction as a function of the initial velocity of the block? How can you say there is no dependence on the velocity when you haven’t compared with even one piece of velocity data?

Last edited:

1. Does the coefficient of kinetic friction change with speed?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction does depend on speed. As an object moves faster, the frictional force acting on it also increases. This is because at higher speeds, there is more interaction between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on, resulting in a higher coefficient of kinetic friction.

2. Is the coefficient of kinetic friction constant for all surfaces?

No, the coefficient of kinetic friction varies for different surfaces. It depends on factors such as the texture, roughness, and material of the surfaces in contact. For example, the coefficient of kinetic friction between two smooth metal surfaces will be lower than that between a rubber surface and a rough concrete surface.

3. Does the weight of an object affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Yes, the weight or mass of an object does affect the coefficient of kinetic friction. Heavier objects have a greater force of gravity acting on them, resulting in a larger normal force between the object and the surface it is moving on. This leads to a higher coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The angle of incline does affect the coefficient of kinetic friction. As the angle of incline increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a lower coefficient of kinetic friction. This is because the weight of the object is distributed along the slope, reducing the force of gravity acting perpendicular to the surface.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This means that the frictional force is greater than the normal force acting on the object. This can happen when the surfaces in contact are very rough or when there is an external force acting on the object, increasing the frictional force.