Register to reply

Blood in Poop

by bioquest
Tags: blood, poop
Share this thread:
bioquest
Nov29-07, 02:04 AM
P: 318
I have like, the highest amount of anxiety and paranoia possible, I was badly abused in high school and have post traumatic stress

I thought it was normal to **** blood during your period ie when you go to the bathroom...I've done it since I can't remember...is that not normal? wtf? Anyways if it's not normal just give me a bunch of whiskeys/some morphine etc and a doctor or whateverr and I'm good (I only started drinking etc way after high school though, ie very very recently)
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Options for weight loss your primary care doctor might not know about
Report advocates improved police training
Mice study shows efficacy of new gene therapy approach for toxin exposures
Moonbear
Nov29-07, 05:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Okay, your question sounds like you may have a few things confused. When you menstruate (have your period), yes, there is bleeding, but it is not in your feces (poop). It is the normal monthly flushing of the uterine lining that exits through the vagina. Blood in your feces (or exiting from your rectum) is not normal, and requires medical treatment. So, I suspect part of your confusion arises either from "sloppiness" in what words are used to refer to "going to the bathroom." Note that blood in urine is also not normal, but when a woman has her period, a urine sample collected in the usual manner into a cup may contain some blood contamination because the vaginal opening and urethral opening are very close together, not because there is any actual blood in the urine within the body.

I'm also going to guess that your question is coming from having recently learned about blood in feces not being normal, and not being sure what that would mean or how you'd recognize it. If there is internal bleeding, such as from an ulcer, and it occurs in the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract, the blood will be partially digested, and will not appear like blood in feces, but rather the feces will have a very dark black, tar-like appearance. If the bleeding is in the lower gastrointestinal tract, the blood will be passed out undigested, and will have the usual bright red color.

If you are in any way uncertain about the source of blood when you go to the bathroom, it would be best to talk to your regular physician about it.
bioquest
Nov29-07, 11:10 AM
No like- okay I'm sorry for the grossness of this post- but like, during my period I fart blood (it's not like when I'm peeing blood though, not that huge amount) like whenever I fart and sometimes, like at the beginning of my period when I do a #2 it's like the #2 thing comes out along with an incredible amount of blood I mean...unless there's just so much blood that its just everywhere I mean there was a time before I didn't think this was normal than I came upon a "blood fart" reference and thought it was normal

I don't think I'm making a mistake, I think that when I do a #2 during my period especially at the beginning a lot of blood comes out, but not out of just my vagina. This only happens during my period though so I thought it was normal

I also pee a huge amount of blood during my period. But that is normal right? I mean you just said something like blood in urine is not normal so

Also I always throw up everything in my stomach when I have period pain but I don't when I take enough painkillers early enough to avoid that

jim mcnamara
Nov29-07, 11:21 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Blood in Poop

I do not like to suggest anything to posters about personal health or 'what is wrong with me?'. But. If your physician is okay with your described problems, consider consulting somebody else. If nothing more than to help your sort out what the source of blood is.

As mb said, you may be confusing menstrual flow with blood in urine, but anal blood flow is definitely not good and is also harder to mistake for menstrual flow. See a qualified medical person.
Moonbear
Nov29-07, 11:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
None of that sounds normal. I suggest you discuss this with your physician. I cannot even think of a condition that would explain what you are experiencing, let alone suggest you shouldn't worry about it. It could be an extreme form of endometriosis, where the uterine lining (endometrium) grows outside the uterus, but the type of symptoms you're describing really don't even fit with that (usually it results in a lot of pain). So, at this point, if this is not just terminology confusion, then I have to suggest you see your doctor. This could be a GI problem that only becomes noticeable when you have your period, perhaps flares up due to the hormonal changes, but would need to be treated.
Evo
Nov29-07, 01:13 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
First see your doctor. Another cause of bleeding from the rectum is hemorrhoids, and the bleeding can be quite heavy. The blood should be bright red, not dark. Dark or black blood is not a good sign as it comes from deeper inside the intestinal tract and can be a sign of more serious problems.
stewartcs
Nov29-07, 01:26 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,284
My God, go to the emergency room or least see a doctor. None of that can be good.
bioquest
Nov29-07, 01:40 PM
Actually like, I've farted in the bath and had blood come out (during my periods) so..it's definetly coming out of more than just my vagina

well okay I could go to the emergency room or see my doctor in like a week

But dammit this only happens during my periods! **** and its been happening awhile but I've been denial (ie going oh its just period blood) + had post traumatic stress (And during the period I had that intense stress I did have things like infections etc downstairs)

I had a hemmorhoid on the outside and one prolapsed but they're gone now I just have loose skin where they were but I didn't want to get it surgically removed because infection and it's not causing hygiene problems because I'm pretty hygenic, I just use wet wipes/whatever is the most hygenic

Do you think I just have internal hemmorhoids? It only happens during my period though
Moonbear
Nov29-07, 02:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You also might be anemic with that much bleeding every month. That would make you more susceptible to infections as well.

Digging around a bit, it seems that there is a form of endometriosis that invades the colorectal lining, so this could be what you're experiencing. It would explain the cyclical symptoms. That is still something you'd want to see a doctor about getting treated. Left untreated, it can lead to scarring and bowel blockages.

Other cases report such bleeding from rectovaginal fistulae (basically, a hole between the vagina and rectum). This would definitely need to be treated, as it would leave you very susceptible to infections.

If the symptoms only occur during your periods, mention this when you call your doctor and find out if it is better to schedule your appointment between periods or during your period. It might be easier for them to identify the problem when you are symptomatic of it.

The downside is that even if that's what is going on, unlike endometriosis elsewhere in the abdominal cavity, it sounds like hormone therapy isn't very effective for treating it, so it may require surgical intervention. On the upside, it sounds like there have been improvements in the surgical approach with recent publications of laparoscopic surgery being used successfully.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum
bioquest
Nov29-07, 08:28 PM
I think you were saying that it's not normal to have blood in urine, but it's normally to pee mostly blood/some blood when on your period right? I mean I pee a lot of blood when I go to the bathroom at the beginning of my period
DaveC426913
Nov29-07, 08:50 PM
P: 15,319
Really. You need to tell all this to your doctor.

Really.
Danger
Nov29-07, 09:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Bioquest, stop dicking around and get to a doctor right ****ing now! Any volume of bleeding that you're indicating is a sign of a potentially life-threatening problem, regardless of which orifice it eminates from. I have piles from hell, but I've never shat the kind of blood that you're talking about. Nobody is capable of diagnosing you over the computer. Get thee to a physicianry.
Moonbear
Nov29-07, 10:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by bioquest View Post
I think you were saying that it's not normal to have blood in urine, but it's normally to pee mostly blood/some blood when on your period right? I mean I pee a lot of blood when I go to the bathroom at the beginning of my period
No, it's not normal. There should be NO blood in urine, EVER, not even a tiny bit pink. What you're describing is a serious problem that needs to be addressed by a physician, and should have been addressed a long time ago. I don't want to scare you, but really, there's no other way to put it. This requires medical attention. Vomiting is also not a normal thing to accompany a period.

Endometriosis is only one possibility, and it is the least serious of them, which does not mean it is not serious. With the amount of blood loss, involvement of both the bowels and urinary tract, and discomfort you are describing, it is still a very serious condition. As Danger pointed out, the amount of blood loss you're describing is excessive...dangerously excessive.

If you are not comfortable explaining all of these symptoms to your physician, print out this thread and hand it to him/her to help get the conversation started. Please, we're not physicians here, and even if we were, nobody can diagnose you over the internet. What we can tell you is that the symptoms you are describing are not part of a normal period, and it is unfortunate that you have been experiencing this so long without someone pointing this out sooner (then again, I suppose this is not the sort of thing people bring up in every day conversation), and it does need medical attention ASAP.

If you are actively experiencing these symptoms now, then indeed, go to the ER. If you are not actively experiencing the symptoms, call your physician first thing in the morning and explain these symptoms, including when you expect your next period so you can schedule your appointment at an appropriate time relative to that.
Astronuc
Nov29-07, 10:22 PM
Admin
P: 21,871
See a competent gynecologist and possibly a gastroenterologist, but see a doctor. A medical exam and diagnosis is impossible over the internet. AFAIK, no one here is an MD (I don't know if Adrenaline is around these days), and no ethical doctor would perform an exam over the internet!

Perhaps it is possible that while having a bowel movement, the contraction of the abdominal muscles also induce a discharge of blood or menses from the uterus, which might explain while this happens during one menstural period.

Nevertheless - see doctor!
Danger
Nov29-07, 10:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Bioquest, this is very hard for me to state publicly.
Normally, I don't really give much of a **** about anyone that I haven't had time to develop a relationship with, but I am really frightened by your condition. I have no idea of how old you are or what your experiences are, but you're obviously in a vulnerable state. Get the proper medical attention that you need.
One thing about PF folks that differs from most sites is that we truly care about one another. I don't want to be reading an obituary with your name on it just because you were too timid to talk to a doctor.
Get your checkup, then report back to us with your results. None of us will rest easy until we know that you're okay.
bioquest
Nov29-07, 11:41 PM
yah Im seeing my doctor tomorrow morning
Anyone living in Vancouver BTW?
I'm 22 BTW

Anyways doesnt anyone finding it interesting from a medical perspective aren't you wondering why it only happens during my period? Have you guys heard any other cases like this?
Invictious
Nov30-07, 04:23 AM
P: 61
Wow..just reading through this thread made me worried too.
Tell us how the visit to the doctor goes.
bioquest
Nov30-07, 04:51 AM
fine, fine, fine I will see doctors etc about this- I have an appointment tomorrow morning- but only if I'm really really drunk

Register to reply