Register to reply

How do I sanitize a carpet?

by Mallignamius
Tags: carpet, sanitize
Share this thread:
Mallignamius
Dec6-07, 03:43 PM
P: 101
I'm moving into a new apartment, closer to work and school. Judging by what was left behind, the previous tenant may have had a foot fungus or nail fungus. What's a good, cheap way to sanitize the carpet?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Greg Bernhardt
Dec6-07, 03:49 PM
Admin
P: 9,335
bleach? jk! rent one of those carpet cleaners at the grocery stores, I think you can get them for the day for like $15.
Mallignamius
Dec6-07, 03:50 PM
Ah ha! That's right. There's one right here in town. Thanks!

Evo
Dec6-07, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 26,486
How do I sanitize a carpet?

Quote Quote by Mallignamius View Post
I'm moving into a new apartment, closer to work and school. Judging by what was left behind, the previous tenant may have had a foot fungus or nail fungus. What's a good, cheap way to sanitize the carpet?
The apartment wasn't cleaned out before you occupied it?

I would suggest a thorough steam cleaning, I think they have some sanitizing formulas. You need to be aware of what kind of carpet it is. From your statement I take it that it is probably a cheap synthetic, so you don't have to worry as if it were a fine wool carpet.

I personally would probably go with a solution of boric acid, wear a face mask and protective clothing to reduce contact with it, then thoroughly rinse the carpet with clear water in the steam machine (I own one). But then I tend to do things that are not all that safe. Boric acid is just the first thing that comes to mind to kill off any foot fungus.

Someone feel free to contradict me if they think it would be too dangerous. Also, whatever you use, you'll need to check for colorfastness.
Astronuc
Dec6-07, 04:13 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The apartment wasn't cleaned out before you occupied it?

I would suggest a thorough steam cleaning, I think they have some sanitizing formulas. You need to be aware of what kind of carpet it is. From your statement I take it that it is probably a cheap synthetic, so you don't have to worry as if it were a fine wool carpet.

I personally would probably go with a solution of boric acid, wear a face mask and protective clothing to reduce contact with it, then thoroughly rinse the carpet with clear water in the steam machine (I own one). But then I tend to do things that are not all that safe. Boric acid is just the first thing that comes to mind to kill off any foot fungus.

Someone feel free to contradict me if they think it would be too dangerous. Also, whatever you use, you'll need to check for colorfastness.
Boric acid or borax (sodium borate, sodium tetraborate)? Borax is an antifungal agent, and I believe boric acid is also. Otherwise, I agree with Evo.
Mallignamius
Dec6-07, 04:19 PM
Okay, borax it is. And thank you very much. I prefer my feet clean and healthy.

Register to reply