Register to reply

Work of Bouyant Force

by clipperdude21
Tags: bouyant, force, work
Share this thread:
clipperdude21
Dec8-07, 02:47 AM
P: 49
I am pretty sure i know how to answer my hw problem if someone can tell me how to calculate the potential energy due to the bouyant force? Im assuming its Fr but what is r and where would you get it from?

In the problem i am given the depth from the surface at which an object is at.

THANKS!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
dwintz02
Dec8-07, 03:58 AM
P: 60
Assuming a 1D problem and a calculus based class, I'd use F = - (d/dx) V

Where F is the buoyant force and V is the potential energy associated with the buoyant force. (d/dx) is a spatial derivatve. Solve this equation for V by integration.
HallsofIvy
Dec8-07, 04:05 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
You need to give more information. There is NO potential energy due to a force alone. Potential energy is the work a force could (or would be done against the force) in moving an object. No motion- no work. You have to be [b]given[b] the distance in the problem. Exactly what does the problem say?

dwintz02
Dec8-07, 04:38 AM
Work of Bouyant Force

Well he said he was given the depth from the surface that the object was located and it should float that distance to the surface.

If your class isn't calculus based, figuring out the units of 'r' should get you started.
clipperdude21
Dec8-07, 01:15 PM
P: 49
ok i think i got it... the problem is basically all variables and says you drop a sphere of mass m , volume v and density p into water. The sphere drops to a distance d below the surface of the water. What it the total potential energy due to gravity and the bouyant force. It then says to assume p is lower than water. I think this would be the sphere rising to the top? so the distance the bouyant force pushes up is d so the energy is pgvd + the gravitational potential energy and thats -mgd. the total would be...

pgvd - mgd right?
dwintz02
Dec8-07, 03:59 PM
Careful with your densities, the p given is different than p(water). Remember the buoyant force in water is equal to the weight of *water* displaced. Also, remember that only a *change* in potential energy is meaningful, what you calculated is the change in potential energy as the sphere rises to the surface.

To answer your question, is p or p(water) a better fit for your final equation?

Register to reply