I need opinions on a Projectile Motion problem that I made up

AlexJicu08
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Recently I started making physics problems and I made one that I really like, but I would like some feedback from other people (how difficult it is, how enjoyable it is to solve this problem, what I could improve about it, etc). Here is the problem:

A cannon is fixed at height H relative to the Earth in point A. The length of the cannon is l, and it can rotate around point O, making an angle φ with the horizontal axis.
A sphere-shaped projectile of radius R and density ρ leaves the cannon with speed v0 under the same angle φ. Friction with air has the value Fr = λρ0Sv^2, where S is the cross-section area of the sphere, v is its velocity, λ is a coefficient and ρ0 is the density of air. This force acts opposite to the velocity. The air also acts on the projectile with a buoyant force equal to the weight of the air displaced by the object.

a) Determine the SI unit for λ

b) Express the horizontal distance relative to point O at which the projectile gets as a function of l, H, φ, λ, ρ, ρ0, R, v0 and g

c) Calculate the distance d for φ ∈ {0°; 30°; 45°; 60°; 90°} (g=10m/s^2, H=2m, l=1m, v0=18km/h, ρ0=1.29kg/m^3, ρ=0.5g/cm^3, R=0.5m and λ = 1 (SI units)

d) Graph d as a function of φ evidentiating the values calculated at point c) and determine, from the graph, for what angle is d maximum

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think you can solve the following easier problem?
A projectile of mass m is shot with initial velocity ## \boldsymbol{\hat v}## from the ground. At which distance from the cannon does the projectile fall?
$$m\boldsymbol{\dot v}=m\boldsymbol g-\gamma|\boldsymbol v|\boldsymbol v,\quad \gamma>0.$$

wrobel said:
A projectile of mass m is shot with initial velocity ## \boldsymbol{\hat v}## from the ground. At which distance from the cannon does the projectile fall?
$$m\boldsymbol{\dot v}=m\boldsymbol g-\gamma|\boldsymbol v|\boldsymbol v,\quad \gamma>0.$$
What angle does the inițial velovity make with the horizontal axis?

AlexJicu08 said:
What angle does the inițial velovity make with the horizontal axis?
The vector initial velocity is given. Calculate.

wrobel said:
Also I never saw the last equation you write and I don't have any idea what it means

Likes PeroK
AlexJicu08 said:
Also I never saw the last equation you write and I don't have any idea what it means
Does the dot mean derivative with respect to time?

AlexJicu08 said:
It is better if you would solve the problems from a textbook first and only after that compose them by yourself.

Likes SammyS and berkeman
AlexJicu08 said:
Does the dot mean derivative with respect to time?
Feedback: your problem looks quite hard. Perhaps a numerical simulation might be the best approach.

Likes jbriggs444
I think you should try solving the one-dimensional problem first just to see what is involved. Let the cannon shoot the projectile straight up, everything else remaining the same. That is a problem that can be solved analytically. You can calculate three relevant quantities
  1. the total time of flight
  2. the maximum height
  3. the speed of the projectile when it returns to the point of projection.
Having done this, you will appreciate the complexity of what you proposed.

Likes wrobel, PeroK and SammyS
wrobel said:
It is better if you would solve the problems from a textbook first and only after that compose them by yourself.
I'm still a student and i'm working with components of vectors (like vx and vy) and i mostly work with scalars, i don't know a lot about vectors and working with them. i could post my solution to the problem, if you want to see how i would work this out

AlexJicu08 said:
I'm still a student and i'm working with components of vectors (like vx and vy) and i mostly work with scalars, i don't know a lot about vectors and working with them. i could post my solution to the problem, if you want to see how i would work this out
Please do post your solution.

kuruman said:
Please do post your solution.
I will write and I will post it by tomorrow

1. What is Projectile Motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you solve a Projectile Motion problem?

To solve a Projectile Motion problem, you need to break it down into two components: horizontal and vertical. Use the equations of motion and the given initial conditions to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

3. What is the importance of Projectile Motion in real life?

Projectile Motion is important in real life as it helps in understanding the motion of objects such as projectiles, rockets, and satellites. It is also used in sports like basketball, baseball, and golf to predict the trajectory of the ball.

4. How do you deal with air resistance in a Projectile Motion problem?

In most cases, air resistance is neglected in Projectile Motion problems as it is difficult to accurately calculate. However, if the problem specifically mentions air resistance, you can use the drag force equation to incorporate it into your calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a Projectile Motion problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a Projectile Motion problem include not breaking the motion into horizontal and vertical components, not using the correct equations of motion, and not considering the initial conditions accurately. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.