Register to reply

Problem with monitor - driver

by shaan_aragorn
Tags: driver, monitor
Share this thread:
shaan_aragorn
Dec20-07, 01:07 PM
P: 43
I recently bought a new cpu - a core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33Ghz. The board model is Intel Desktop Board DG33FB. But I kept my old monitor, a Samsung Samtron 45Bn, bought way back in 1999. The monitor does not work with the new system with software drivers installed. I have to use it otherherwise, without software driver support as a plug and play device. As a result I cannot take complete advantage of the system, ie cannot play 3d games or watch dvd quality movies.
Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
chroot
Dec20-07, 05:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
You should not need drivers of any sort to run a normal VGA-compliant monitor. When you plug the monitor into the computer, and turn both on, what exactly happens? Does anything show up on the screen at all?

If you can see things on the screen, but your game performance is bad, then it's your graphics card, not your monitor, that needs to be investigated.

- Warren
Cheer 28339
Dec20-07, 06:05 PM
P: 3
True. You may also need more memory in your computer. That happened to me, and with more memory, it all worked out perfectly.

robphy
Dec20-07, 07:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,136
Problem with monitor - driver

It may be that the Intel board above has a "Graphics Media Accelerator 3100".
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...-graphics.html
dst
Dec20-07, 10:19 PM
P: 389
By CPU do you mean the whole damn box or the actual CPU?

Hopefully you recieved something like this:
http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/11/01/cor...e_quad_cpu.jpg

And not one of these:
http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/i...wer_Inside.jpg

Drives me nuts when people refer to the latter as a CPU.
shaan_aragorn
Dec21-07, 12:57 PM
P: 43
@chroot: I do see things on my monitor when i turn on my computer but when i install the drivers that came with the motherboard the screen turns blank as soon as windows loads. i can hear the startup sound of windows. Then if i uninstall the drivers ( by going in safe mode first), the monitor works fine but without nice graphics.
I have plenty of memory to play games because i plugged my machine to a newer monitor and everythings fine. So no question of less memory. Also, i do not have a seperate graphics card, its on board.

@Dst: i meant the CPU, The board and everthing that comes with the board (including the case), next time i'll be careful
chroot
Dec21-07, 02:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Again, your monitor has nothing to do with this problem. It's something to do with your graphics card. Can you tell us more about what card you're using, and what drivers you're using?

- Warren

Register to reply