Register to reply

Thermal expansion coefficient for liquids.

by Geir Onsoyen
Tags: coefficient, expansion, liquids, thermal
Share this thread:
Geir Onsoyen
Dec23-07, 08:00 AM
P: 2
I am looking for a liquid with a high expansion coefficient. This liquid should act as a working fluid in a energy cycle based on a system where the working fluid does not change phase from liquid to gas.

So far I have found pentane as the most suitable liquid - but I would like to know if there are people with experience / knowledge that can help me in this case. For instance if there are mixtures of different liquids that have special properties that can be interesting.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
aryanscarlet
Oct14-08, 10:54 AM
P: 10
HEY GUYS... I`M COMPLETELY NEW TO THIS FORUM AND AM AN AMATURE... SO BEAR WITH ME IF MY DOUBTS SOUNDS SILLY.... BY THE WAY I`M IN MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN INDIA. I WANT TO MAKE A STIRLING ENGINE. PLS DO PROVIDE ME SOME GUIDING WEBSITES OR SUCH... NEXT I HAVE A DOUBT IN IT... IN A STIRLING ENGINE THE LIQUID IS HEATED BY A HEAT SOURCE... NOW MY QUESTION- I NOTICED THAT THE BOILING PT OF ACETALDEHYDE IS AROUND 20.6C.
IF I PUMP LIQUID ACETALDEHYDE AT SOME 15 OR 10C CONDITION AND THEN IF I BRING THE STIRING ENGINE TO THE ROOM TEMP THEN WILL IT WORK WITHOUT AN EXTRA HEAT SOURCE AT THE ROOM TEMPERATURE.....?. OR MAYBE LIKE Geir Onsoyen SAYS MAYBE USING A LIQUID OF HIGH COEFF OF THERMAL EXPANSION, THEN WOULD IT BE WORKING BETTER? AND WILL IT BE EFFECIENT THAN THE COMBUSTION ENGINE IN TERMS OF COSTS TOO OWING TO THE RISING FUEL PRICES?

Register to reply