Temperature change due to mixing liquids, heating and heat losses

In summary, when two liquids of different temperatures are mixed, the resulting temperature will be a combination of the two initial temperatures. This is known as the principle of mixtures. When heat is added to a system, the molecules of the substance will vibrate faster, increasing the temperature. However, heat can also be lost through various processes such as convection, radiation, and conduction. This can lead to a decrease in temperature and is known as heat loss. Understanding these concepts is crucial in controlling and maintaining temperature in various systems such as cooking, heating, and refrigeration.
tjosan
TL;DR Summary
I need help to combine these equations in order to get one expression that governs the temperature over time. Mixing liquids with different temperature, at the same heating the mixture, at the same time there are heat losses.
Hello,
I am stuck how to proceed with the equations below.

The problem:
A tank containing ##m_0## mass, with a temperature of ##T_0##, is to be filled with a total mass of ##m_1##, with the constant mass flow rate ##G## and temperature ##T_1## during ##t_p## seconds. ##T_0>T_1##. Other than the temperature, the physical properties of the liquids are the same.

While all this is happening, the mixture in the tank is being heated with the effect ##Q_H##, and there is heat loss with heat transfer coefficient ##h##.

Looking at all of these events independently (only considering the time interval ##0\le t \le t_p##):

a. Temperature due to filling the tank with a lower temperature liquid. No heating, no heatloss.

The temperature can be given as the weighted average. To make it time-dependent, I divide by ##t_p## and multiply with ##t## (since the liquids are identical, the ##C_p## value cancels, which otherwise is present.)
$$T_a(t)=\frac{m_0T_0+m_1T_1}{(m_0+m_1)t_p}t$$
__

b. Heat loss. No heating, no filling.
The heat loss is given by:
$$\dot{Q}=hA(T(t)-T_S)$$
Since ##\dot{Q}=C_pm\frac{dT}{dt}##, I get:
$$\frac{dT_b}{dt}=\frac{hA}{C_pm_0}(T(t)-T_S)$$

Since there is no filling in this case, the mass is set to ##m_0## rather than ##Gt##.
__

c. Heating. No heat loss, no filling.
$$T_c(t)=\frac{\dot{Q_H}}{C_pm_0}t$$

Since there is no filling in this case, the mass is set to ##m_0## rather than ##Gt##.
__

I want one expression, ##T(t)## that governs the temperature over time, but I can't seem to figure out how I can combine these equtions.

For example, to calculate the heat loss, I need to factor in the temperature change from case a and the heating from case c. But since the mass change with time, the heating in case c is not constant (case b is also dependent on the mass). This is just one of the problems I came across. I suspect I might need to solve a system of equations maybe?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
tjosan said:
TL;DR Summary: I need help to combine these equations in order to get one expression that governs the temperature over time. Mixing liquids with different temperature, at the same heating the mixture, at the same time there are heat losses.

Hello,
I am stuck how to proceed with the equations below.

The problem:
A tank containing ##m_0## mass, with a temperature of ##T_0##, is to be filled with a total mass of ##m_1##, with the constant mass flow rate ##G## and temperature ##T_1## during ##t_p## seconds. ##T_0>T_1##. Other than the temperature, the physical properties of the liquids are the same.

While all this is happening, the mixture in the tank is being heated with the effect ##Q_H##, and there is heat loss with heat transfer coefficient ##h##.

Looking at all of these events independently (only considering the time interval ##0\le t \le t_p##):

a. Temperature due to filling the tank with a lower temperature liquid. No heating, no heatloss.

The temperature can be given as the weighted average. To make it time-dependent, I divide by ##t_p## and multiply with ##t## (since the liquids are identical, the ##C_p## value cancels, which otherwise is present.)
$$T_a(t)=\frac{m_0T_0+m_1T_1}{(m_0+m_1)t_p}t$$
__

b. Heat loss. No heating, no filling.
The heat loss is given by:
$$\dot{Q}=hA(T(t)-T_S)$$
Since ##\dot{Q}=C_pm\frac{dT}{dt}##, I get:
$$\frac{dT_b}{dt}=\frac{hA}{C_pm_0}(T(t)-T_S)$$

__

c. Heating. No heat loss, no filling.
$$T_c(t)=\frac{\dot{Q_H}}{C_pm_0}t$$

__

I want one expression, ##T(t)## that governs the temperature over time, but I can't seem to figure out how I can combine these equtions.

For example, to calculate the heat loss, I need to factor in the temperature change from case a and the heating from case c. But since the mass change with time, the heating in case c is not constant (case b is also dependent on the mass). This is just one of the problems I came across. I suspect I might need to solve a system of equations maybe?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Try to write an expression for the change of temperature at any time between 0 and tp.
This should lead to a differential equation for T(t) which you then solve with the given starting value T(0).
Don't split it up the way you do. The T(t) you are looking for is most likely not a combination of the expressions for the individual processes.
For a few simpler examples you can look at the first two problems in https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333479286_Differential_equations_for_thermal_processes

Likes tjosan
What is the exact word-for-word statement of the problem?

Likes tjosan
The mass balance equation is : $$\frac{dm}{dt}=G$$subject to the initial condition m = ##m_0## at t = 0. Assuming perfect mixing, the heat balance equation is $$\frac{d(mu)}{dt}=Gu_I+\dot{Q}-hA(T-T_S)$$where ##u=C(T-T_R)## is the internal energy per unit mass, ##u=C(T_I-T_R)## is the entering internal energy per unit mass, and ##T_R## is the reference temperature for zero u. If we combine the heat- and mass balances, we then obtain: $$mC\frac{dT}{dt}=GC(T_i-T)+\dot{Q}-hA(T-T_S)$$with ##m=m_0+Gt##.

• Informative
Likes tjosan and berkeman
Thank you very much. I don't have a word-to-word statement, as this problem is an invention of my own. :)

tjosan said:
This is what happens when you let Wolfram Alpha brute force it for you. On the other hand,
$$\frac{dT}{(T-T_{\infty})}=-\left(1+\frac{hA}{GC}\right)\frac{Gdt}{m_0+Gt}$$where $$T_{\infty}=\frac{GCT_I+\dot{Q}(GC+hA)+hAT_S}{(GC+hA)}$$So $$\frac{T-T_{\infty}}{T_0-T_{\infty}}=\left(\frac{m_0}{m}\right)^{\left(1+\frac{hA}{GC}\right)}$$

I just did the algebra and arrived at the same result, thanks!

Although I only used ##\dot{Q}## in ##T_\infty##, and not ##\dot{Q}(GC+hA)##, which I assume was a mistake.

tjosan said:
I just did the algebra and arrived at the same result, thanks!

Although I only used ##\dot{Q}## in ##T_\infty##, and not ##\dot{Q}(GC+hA)##, which I assume was a mistake.
Yes, that’s a mistake. The correct equation is $$T_{\infty}=\frac{GCT_I+\dot{Q}+hAT_S}{(GC+hA)}$$

1. What factors affect the temperature change when mixing liquids?

The temperature change when mixing liquids is affected by the initial temperatures of the liquids, their specific heat capacities, and the amount of each liquid being mixed.

2. How does heating affect the temperature change when mixing liquids?

Heating one or both of the liquids before mixing will increase the temperature change, as the molecules will have more energy and will mix more vigorously.

3. Why is heat loss a concern when mixing liquids?

Heat loss can affect the accuracy of the temperature change, as some of the energy will be lost to the surrounding environment. This is especially important to consider when conducting experiments or making precise measurements.

4. How can heat loss be minimized when mixing liquids?

Heat loss can be minimized by conducting the mixing in a well-insulated container, using a lid to cover the container, and minimizing the amount of time between heating and mixing.

5. What is the formula for calculating the final temperature when mixing two liquids?

The final temperature when mixing two liquids can be calculated using the formula Tf = (m1C1T1 + m2C2T2) / (m1C1 + m2C2), where Tf is the final temperature, m is the mass of the liquid, C is the specific heat capacity, and T is the initial temperature.