How does the weight distribution work in a human pyramid?

In summary, the human pyramid behaves in a similar way to the mathematical concept of an equilibrium. The total weight of those sitting at the bottom is equal to the weight of those at the top, but the force exerted by each person is not the same.
Dokugogagoji
Hi! I'm Simone, I come from Italy and I'm a newbie..glad to meet you...and ehm...I have already a question!

My question is related about the example of human pyramid.

There are 5 people, one at top of the other..like:
o1
o2
o3
o4
o5

o5 push o4 up...o4 push o3 up and so on..
the perceiped force on the shoulders of o5 is only o4's weight or the
sum of o1,o2,o3,o4 ones?
if it is the last response, so must be o5 the strongest one and can
they sit without difference of force on o5? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dokugogagoji said:
Hi! I'm Simone, I come from Italy and I'm a newbie..glad to meet you...and ehm...I have already a question!

My question is related about the example of human pyramid.

There are 5 people, one at top of the other..like:
o1
o2
o3
o4
o5

o5 push o4 up...o4 push o3 up and so on..
the perceiped force on the shoulders of o5 is only o4's weight or the
sum of o1,o2,o3,o4 ones?
if it is the last response, so must be o5 the strongest one and can
they sit without difference of force on o5? thanks!

Weight on o5 is total of the others. I don't understand your second question, other than presuming o5 is probably the strongest, but not necessarily.

mathman said:
Weight on o5 is total of the others. I don't understand your second question, other than presuming o5 is probably the strongest, but not necessarily.

Because I guessed as following:
http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_200712/20071225231005_Untitled.gif

(the image is ugly, i know :biggrin:)

and |F21|=|P1| |F32|=|P2| and so on..

finally, the total weight on o5 should be (and the module of F54) P4 (and in the floor P5), shouldn't it?

instead, on sitting people..they don't make any "pulling action" so |F21|=0 |F32|=0 and so on... so, the total wieght on o5 (and module of |F54|)should be P1+P2+P3+P4 (and in the floor P1+P2+P3+P4+P5), shouldn't it? thanks for reply

Yes, O5 must be the strongest because the perceived weight will be the sum of all those above.

Otherwise, you could have O5 carrying a kitten which is carrying a shipping crate. I like kittens. Preferably retaining all three of their dimensions.

Dokugogagoji said:
instead, on sitting people..they don't make any "pulling action" so |F21|=0 |F32|=0 and so on...
This is the part that I don't understand; can you try asking it again? What do you mean by "on sitting people"? Why do you say that any of these forces equal zero?

This seems to be a problem related to Newton's Third Law.

You cannot apply this law the way you like it. Of course you can add vectors the way you want (using vector field's rules), but forces need an application point (I'm not sure it's the right expression, English is my second langage)

This is similar to the following problem : if you're pushing a box to make it slide on the floor, Newton's Third Law tells you that there will be another force pushing in the opposite direction with an equal intensity. Then, how can the box move ?

To answer this question, you need to know where the forces are being applied.

As a matter of fact, the way you interpret your problem could lead to the conclusion that all objects should float in the air.

As stated above, o5's legs and/or arms will have to exert a force equal to the weight of five people. I've just had a look a proper pyramid:

Code:
  o
 o o
o o o

And it turns out that for a few layers the force exerted by those at the base edges tends towards 2, and the base centre exerts a bit less than 'n', where 'n' is the number of layers. So the strongest people should go in the middle, and not too many layers.

Last edited:

Related to How does the weight distribution work in a human pyramid?

1. What is a human pyramid?

A human pyramid is a physical formation in which individuals stack on top of each other to create a pyramid-like structure. It is often used as a recreational activity or performance in sports, team building, and cultural events.

2. How many people are typically needed to form a human pyramid?

The number of people needed to form a human pyramid can vary depending on the size and shape of the pyramid. Generally, it requires at least four people to form a basic pyramid, but larger and more complex formations can involve dozens of people.

3. Are there any safety concerns when forming a human pyramid?

Yes, there are safety concerns when forming a human pyramid. It is important to have a strong and stable base, with individuals at the bottom supporting the weight of those above them. It is also crucial to have proper supervision and precautions in place to prevent accidents or injuries.

4. What are the benefits of participating in a human pyramid?

Participating in a human pyramid can have several benefits, such as promoting teamwork, coordination, and communication skills. It also requires physical strength, balance, and flexibility, making it a fun and challenging activity for individuals of all ages.

5. Are there any cultural or historical significances of human pyramids?

Yes, human pyramids have been a part of various cultures and traditions throughout history. For example, in India, the festival of Dahi Handi involves forming human pyramids to reach and break a clay pot filled with curd, symbolizing the playful and mischievous nature of the Hindu God, Krishna. In ancient Egypt, human pyramids were used to build massive structures such as the pyramids of Giza.