Does magnetic force transfer weight?

In summary, the question being posed is whether or not magnetic force can transfer weight, specifically in the scenario of using two magnets to create a floating effect. The question also brings up the possibility of needing to calculate the necessary repel force to hold up the load, and whether or not the bottom magnet feels the combined weight of the top magnet and load due to the magnetic force pushing down on it. The person also asks for clarification on any incorrect terminology and mentions the potential relevance of Newton's third law.
Robertmunch
Hello, I'm new here but I think this is the correct place to post this topic but please let me know if I am incorrect.

Question:

Does magnetic force transfer weight? For example: If you have one magnets negative side being lowered onto the positive side of another, they would repel. So now you want to place a load on top of the top magnet to make it float. Now I assume that you would need to calculate how much of a repel force you would need for the magnets to be able to hold up the load. What I am wondering is: does the bottom magnet feel the weight of the top magnet and load combined because the magnetic force that's pushing them apart and holding the top one up, is also pushing down on it?

Please just correct me if I'm using wrong terminology anywhere in there.

Cheers,
Brandon

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think and why? You may find Newton's third law helpful here.

If you have one magnets negative side being lowered onto the positive side of another, they would repel.

Check that bit.

1. Does magnetic force transfer weight?

No, magnetic force does not transfer weight. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while magnetic force is a force exerted between two magnetic objects. Therefore, magnetic force does not affect an object's weight.

2. Can magnetic force make objects lighter?

No, magnetic force cannot make objects lighter. As mentioned before, weight is determined by the force of gravity, which is not affected by magnetic force. The weight of an object will remain the same regardless of any magnetic forces acting on it.

3. How does magnetic force affect the weight of an object?

Magnetic force does not directly affect the weight of an object. However, if a magnetic force is strong enough, it can lift or move an object, giving the illusion of a change in weight. This is because the magnetic force is counteracting the force of gravity, making the object feel lighter.

4. Can magnets make objects weigh more?

No, magnets cannot make objects weigh more. The weight of an object is determined by the force of gravity, which is not affected by magnetic forces. However, if a magnet is attached to an object, it may increase the overall weight of the object due to the added mass of the magnet.

5. Is there a relationship between magnetism and weight?

No, there is no direct relationship between magnetism and weight. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while magnetism is a force between two magnetic objects. However, both forces can affect the motion of an object, such as when a magnet is used to lift or move an object.