Register to reply

Basic water pressure formula

by metroactus
Tags: basic, formula, pressure, water
Share this thread:
metroactus
Jan31-08, 06:35 PM
P: 2
ive scanned about 200 closely relevant posts to make sure im not one of those "here we go again" posts, but can find no basic water pressure formula. Specifically I need to calculate variable hypothetical water pressures (with a final conversion to GAUGE pressure) with a known INLET PSI, comparing pipe size, pipe configuration, change in elevation, etc. Short of a hundred bucks for an engineering book, i cant find this exact formula though a lot are close. I have my constants for friction loss, gravity, inlet psi, angled and reduced pipe fittings, but need the equation that ties all these together to constantly reference as i mix and match to achieve the highest psi possible, or at the least, economically feasible.

thanks in advance to accurate replys
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
stewartcs
Jan31-08, 09:02 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by metroactus View Post
ive scanned about 200 closely relevant posts to make sure im not one of those "here we go again" posts, but can find no basic water pressure formula. Specifically I need to calculate variable hypothetical water pressures (with a final conversion to GAUGE pressure) with a known INLET PSI, comparing pipe size, pipe configuration, change in elevation, etc. Short of a hundred bucks for an engineering book, i cant find this exact formula though a lot are close. I have my constants for friction loss, gravity, inlet psi, angled and reduced pipe fittings, but need the equation that ties all these together to constantly reference as i mix and match to achieve the highest psi possible, or at the least, economically feasible.

thanks in advance to accurate replys
Here are some formulas complements of Q_Goest a few posts below...

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=211590

CS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pipe-Flo Pro.pdf (105.0 KB, 143 views)
Q_Goest
Jan31-08, 10:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,905
Hey, that looks familiar! lol

FredGarvin
Feb1-08, 06:06 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Basic water pressure formula

I have a link to your post Q. It comes in handy quite often.
b4123p
Jan4-10, 09:46 AM
P: 1
To pumping crude oil (0.9 SG) with distance for 72 km on 8" steel pipe with flow rate as 725GPM and my question is how much the pressure (psi) to do this work ?

Please help ?
stewartcs
Jan4-10, 10:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by b4123p View Post
To pumping crude oil (0.9 SG) with distance for 72 km on 8" steel pipe with flow rate as 725GPM and my question is how much the pressure (psi) to do this work ?

Please help ?
You need to provide more information. A sketch would be helpful. Make sure to note elevation changes, pipe schedule, etc...

You can apply the general energy equation for fluid flow to find the required pressure once you determine the system layout.

CS

Register to reply