Calculate Water Leak From Hot Water System - Pipes, Pressure & More

In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of gallons per hour leaking from a residential hot water system based on various parameters such as house pressure, pipe size, and temperature. The conversation refers to an article that calculates heat loss for 3/4" uninsulated copper pipes and uses this information to estimate the flow rate required for a 10 degree drop in temperature. This suggests that there may be a leak in the system. The question posed is how many gallons per minute/hour are leaking.
Mackay Scanland
Hello PF,

I have a question. I would like to know how many gallons per hour are leaking from a residential hot water system. Here are the parameters: House PSI or H2O pressure=100 psi. Hot water pipe size=3/4” copper. Temperature of piping that is approx. 10’ away from the water heater=120 degrees. Temperature of H2O @ water heater T-stat=130 degree (Delta T of 10 degrees).

My take is that to maintain a temperature difference of only 10 degrees across that length of ¾ pipe, there would have to be significant flow through the pipe, and such, a leak somewhere within the system. So, I thought I’d ask some experts what they thought. Question: How many gallons per minute/hour are leaking? P.S. Not my house, but when I heard about the situation, it seemed like a good question! Thank you in advance for all responses…

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do I calculate the amount of water lost from a hot water system leak?

To calculate the amount of water lost from a hot water system leak, you will need to know the flow rate of the leak and the duration of the leak. You can then use the formula: Volume of Water Lost = Flow Rate x Time. This will give you the amount of water lost in liters or gallons.

2. What is the average flow rate of a hot water system leak?

The average flow rate of a hot water system leak can vary depending on the size and location of the leak. However, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, a faucet leak can waste up to 10,000 gallons of water per year, while a shower head leak can waste up to 500 gallons of water per year.

3. How can I detect a hot water system leak?

There are a few ways to detect a hot water system leak. You can check your water meter for any sudden increases in usage, look for wet spots or puddles around pipes or fixtures, and listen for any hissing or dripping noises. You can also conduct a dye test by adding food coloring to your toilet tank and checking for any color in the bowl without flushing.

4. Can a hot water system leak cause damage to my home?

Yes, a hot water system leak can cause significant damage to your home if left untreated. It can lead to mold growth, water damage to walls and floors, and even structural damage. It is important to address any leaks as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

5. How can I prevent hot water system leaks?

To prevent hot water system leaks, it is important to regularly inspect your pipes and fixtures for any signs of wear or damage. You should also promptly repair any leaks and consider replacing old or corroded pipes. It is also a good idea to monitor your water usage and be mindful of any sudden increases, as this could indicate a potential leak.