Register to reply

How to convert polynomial to matrix?

by m2006
Tags: convert, matrix, polynomial
Share this thread:
m2006
Apr18-04, 11:31 AM
P: 1
Does anyone know how to convert a polynomial to a matrix. I have been told that it is possible to convert a fourth order polynomial to a 4x4 Matrix in Matlab but I have no clue how to go about it and how it is done. Any suggestions or even where to look would be GREATLY helpful!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
billk
Apr19-04, 09:50 PM
P: 3
Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do?

If you were to choose a basis for the space of fourth degree polynomials, like [tex] \{ 1,x,x^2,x^3,x^4 \} [/tex], then it is possible to represent a polynomial as an element of this vector space by a coefficient matrix.

For example, [tex] 3x^4-2x^2+5 \mapsto \left[5,0,-2,0,3 \right] [/tex]. This is not a 4x4 matrix like you are looking for, but it is a representation of the polynomial as a matrix.

If you are more specific about what you are trying to do, maybe I can offer more insight, although I am not sure if what you want can be done.
thamster
Apr11-11, 06:10 PM
P: 1
check this out for making a companion matrix for a given polynomial:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_matrix

The determinant of a companion matrix is a polynomial in λ, known as the characteristic polynomial. λs are the eigenvalues, they are also the solutions to the polynomial.

This works well for polynomials of degree 4 or smaller since they can be solved by a finite sequence of arithmetic operations and radicals.

hope this helps.

spg89
Apr22-11, 06:25 AM
P: 7
How to convert polynomial to matrix?

use cayley-Hamilton theorem from backwards,it will help...

Register to reply