Spheres octaves and pitch

by PH7SICS
Tags: octaves, pitch, spheres
Share this thread:
PH7SICS
Feb10-08, 11:15 AM
P: 23
Dose anyone know the relationship of cube root numbers and the fraction of 1/8

"Assuming a body of a size represented by X has a pitch of 1024 per second, then a pitch of 2048 (double 1024) per second will be produced by a body having a volume of some mean between 1/8 of X and the cube root of X"

I understand why a pitch double the original will be produced by a sphere 1/8 the volume because if you double the diameter of a sphere you increase its volume by eightfold.

I don't however understand the relationship between 1/8 and cube root numbers, any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
pam
Feb10-08, 05:19 PM
P: 455
The pitch depends on the radius of the sphere. Doubling the radius multiplies the volume by
2^3=8.
PH7SICS
Feb11-08, 05:58 AM
P: 23
Is it as simple as that...haha lol, I knew 2^3 was 8 but I had assumed I was looking for something more complex, funny when you look for the complex you miss the simple.

Would this only work for spheres then?

clem
Feb11-08, 12:49 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,269
Spheres octaves and pitch

It would also work for the frequencies of a 3D object. For a drumhead, the pitch would go like 2^2.

Register to reply