Register to reply

What preparation is necessary for Rudin's Mathematical Analysis?

by stakehoagy
Tags: analysis, mathematical, preparation, rudin
Share this thread:
stakehoagy
Feb11-08, 05:45 PM
P: 29
I was wondering what knowledge is necessary before attempting to read Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. I heard somewhere that Axiomatic Set Theory by Suppes is a good start. Maybe a topology book. And probably a good understanding of calculus and linear algebra. Anything else come to mind?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
trinitron
Feb11-08, 06:22 PM
P: 76
That sounds like a whole lot of overkill for that book. Perhaps what you've heard refers to Real and Complex Analysis? Even then...
zhentil
Feb11-08, 06:25 PM
P: 491
Calculus. I had linear algebra prior to real analysis, but it wasn't really necessary.

stakehoagy
Feb11-08, 09:27 PM
P: 29
What preparation is necessary for Rudin's Mathematical Analysis?

thanks for the advice. I'm going to get the book from the library soon and get started.
redrzewski
Feb12-08, 11:21 AM
P: 117
I'd recommend Munkres' Topology as a good companion text.
bmm9
Feb14-08, 09:44 PM
P: 10
If you aren't used to doing proofs then you might want to find a book on the basics of proofs. "How to Prove It" by Velleman has a good reputation.

If you're studying on your own, access to someone who knows analysis well (e.g. a professor) is great.

Also, MIT uses this book for their real analysis course, and the open courseware has some solutions to the problems (and extra problems).
ytoruno
Mar6-08, 05:47 AM
P: 85
try Elementary analysis by Kenneth ross. Its an easier read and it covers only single variable topics, but its good prep for rudin.

Register to reply