Real Analysis (Baby Rudin vs Apostol)

In summary, Rudin is a good book but some people find it too verbose. Apostol's book is a good supplemental book but some people find it too dense. Strichartz is a good choice for people who want a more detailed explanation.
Falgun
I am currently trying to self study Real analysis . I have completed Hubbard's Multivariable book & Strang's Linear algebra book. I have Apostol's Mathematical Analysis & Baby Rudin . I started with rudin yesterday and was making excellent headway until I encountered a theorem about 15 pages in. After some difficulty I managed to prove it but when I saw rudin's proof I was completely baffled. He did in three lines what took me a page . I am still trying to understand the proof as of now. But I am beginning to feel rudin might not be as good as a sole textbook. I am considering using apostol's book as a supplement.
How does it compare to Rudin?

Does anyone have any suggestions about using apostol & rudin in conjunction?

Feel free to recommend other resources and tips to learn analysis.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that people have issues with it, but if you feel that a verbose approach would work better for you, take a look at Strichartz.

Many people recommend Abbott Understanding Analysis.

caz said:
I know that people have issues with it, but if you feel that a verbose approach would work better for you, take a look at Strichartz.

Many people recommend Abbott Understanding Analysis.
I flipped through a pdf of abbott before I tried rudin but I didn't find it all that satisfying. Sure, the writing's excellent and very easy to read but I felt the pace was too slow. As for strichartz I don't think it will suit me for the same reason.

What are your thoughts on Apostol's Analysis book?

I was more hoping you would tell me how to use Rudin & Apostol together?
Like should I get the theory from apostol & problems from rudin or what?

I like Rudin a lot, but another option is Carothers' book. It's maybe a gentler read and has good exposition and problems from what I've looked at. I think it also covers more than Rudin (though it doesn't do any multivariable analysis from what I remember).

Infrared said:
I like Rudin a lot, but another option is Carothers' book. It's maybe a gentler read and has good exposition and problems from what I've looked at. I think it also covers more than Rudin (though it doesn't do any multivariable analysis from what I remember).
Sure I'll check it out.

1. What is the main difference between "Baby Rudin" and "Apostol"?

The main difference between "Baby Rudin" and "Apostol" is their approach to real analysis. "Baby Rudin" is more rigorous and focuses on developing the theory from basic axioms, while "Apostol" takes a more intuitive approach and provides more examples and applications.

2. Which book is better for beginners in real analysis?

Both "Baby Rudin" and "Apostol" are commonly used as textbooks for introductory real analysis courses. However, "Apostol" may be more suitable for beginners due to its more intuitive approach and additional examples and applications.

3. Are there any major differences in the topics covered in each book?

Both "Baby Rudin" and "Apostol" cover the same core topics in real analysis, such as sequences, continuity, differentiation, and integration. However, "Apostol" also includes additional topics such as metric spaces and Fourier series.

4. Which book has more challenging exercises?

The exercises in "Baby Rudin" are generally considered to be more challenging compared to those in "Apostol". However, both books have a wide range of exercises that vary in difficulty.

5. Can these books be used for self-study?

Yes, both "Baby Rudin" and "Apostol" can be used for self-study. However, due to their rigorous nature, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics before attempting to study real analysis from these books.