HELP Why CS is topological? Why BF is topological?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the CS Lagrangian as a topological invariant, independent of the connection chosen. However, there is confusion about how this can be seen as topological, as well as concerns about the form of the CS Lagrangian and its relationship to constraints and degrees of freedom.
astros
Hello,
I know that the CS Lagrangian is a topological invariant, in the sense that it does not depend on the connection we choose. OK, but a TFT is a field theory whose Lagrangian and all other observables do not depend on the metric, a connection in general is not uniquely defined by a metric! Then how can I see CS theory as topological? Another problem, CS Lagrangian is a 3-forme, normally; a Lagrangian must be a scalar!? After that, can I see that CS is topological by showing that the number of constraints is equal to the number of degrees of freedom? If yes HOW! The same for BF! Please help me RANI N’NAGER!

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody!

Hello RANI N’NAGER,

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion about how Chern-Simons (CS) and BF theories can be considered topological. Let me try to explain it in a simple way.

Firstly, a topological field theory (TFT) is a field theory whose observables do not depend on the metric or the connection. This means that the theory is independent of the geometry of the underlying spacetime. In CS and BF theories, the Lagrangian is a topological invariant, meaning that it does not change under small deformations of the underlying manifold. This is why these theories are considered topological.

Now, let's address your concerns about the CS Lagrangian being a 3-form and not a scalar. In TFTs, we are interested in topological invariants, not physical quantities. Therefore, the Lagrangian does not have to be a scalar, as we are not concerned with the actual value of the Lagrangian but rather its topological properties. Additionally, the number of constraints in a TFT is indeed equal to the number of degrees of freedom, which is another characteristic of topological theories.

I hope this helps to clarify why CS and BF theories are considered topological. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to HELP Why CS is topological? Why BF is topological?

1. Why is CS considered a topological concept?

CS, or computational science, is considered a topological concept because it deals with the study of complex systems and their behaviors. These systems can be represented as networks or graphs, which are topological structures. Understanding the topological properties of these systems is crucial in analyzing their behavior and making predictions.

2. How does topology relate to BF?

BF, or Boolean functions, are mathematical functions that operate on binary inputs and produce binary outputs. These functions can be represented as truth tables, which can also be viewed as topological structures. The topology of a Boolean function is determined by the number of input variables and the arrangement of the truth table, which can affect its complexity and behavior.

3. What are the key elements of topology in CS and BF?

In both CS and BF, topology plays a crucial role in understanding the relationships and interactions between different elements within a system. This includes the structure and connectivity of networks, the arrangement of truth tables, and the patterns and behaviors that emerge from these structures.

4. How is the use of topology beneficial in studying CS and BF?

The use of topology in studying CS and BF allows for a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and functions. It helps identify key elements and their relationships, analyze patterns and behaviors, and make predictions about the behavior of these systems. Additionally, topology can be used as a tool for designing and optimizing these systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of using topology in CS and BF?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications of using topology in CS and BF. For example, in CS, topology is used in network analysis, data mining, and machine learning. In BF, topology is useful in circuit design, coding theory, and cryptography. Additionally, the use of topology in these fields has led to advancements in fields such as medicine, economics, and social sciences.