Register to reply

Gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray ?

by einsteinooo
Tags: curved, field, gravity, light, phenomenon
Share this thread:
einsteinooo
Mar16-08, 11:43 PM
P: 5
Surrounding the planets usually exists the various atmosphere. Due to this atmosphere, one light ray crossing the planet will be refracted more if it comes more closely to the planet's surface. So how to know that " gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray" is not created by the planets' atmosphere ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
mgb_phys
Mar16-08, 11:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Planets are not normally used to measure gravitational lensing.
The atmosphere is a problem and they don't have enough mass to give a significant result.
ZapperZ
Mar17-08, 06:48 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by einsteinooo View Post
Surrounding the planets usually exists the various atmosphere. Due to this atmosphere, one light ray crossing the planet will be refracted more if it comes more closely to the planet's surface. So how to know that " gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray" is not created by the planets' atmosphere ?
You forgot to ask why there are atmosphere around a planet in the first place.

There's one simple way to check for this. Put an object in an environment of "less atmosphere" and check its weight. If it has changed considerably as you pump out the air, then you'd be correct. I have a vacuum chamber that can go to as low as 10^-10 Torr. How much are you willing to bet that a block of, say, OFE copper that I put in there would be reduced in mass as I pump it down?

Zz.

einsteinooo
Mar17-08, 09:44 PM
P: 5
Gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray ?

Atmosphere is " Sphere lens "
ZapperZ
Mar19-08, 08:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by einsteinooo View Post
Atmosphere is " Sphere lens "
So where is this "sphere lens" when I pump out a lot of it, yet my object still weighs the same?

Zz.

Register to reply