Ray Tracing - Optics - Bend light with circular lenses

In summary: Thanks for your input!In summary, Tracer uses Snell's law to trace refraction and absorption. It uses a central absorbing circle surrounded by circular lenses, with the outer circles being perfect transmitters. If a ray encounters the lenses, it is refracted and transmitted. Results show that the rays bend around the object, and this is likely due to the lenses' refractive index.
johanns
Hey guys first time poster.

I have written a 2D ray tracer in Mathematica. It's very basic, all it does is use Snell's law to trace ray refraction and very basic absorption. The set up is a central absorbing circle surrounded by circular lenses. The central circle is a perfect absorber, so if a ray encounters it it is totally absorbed. The outer circles are perfect transmitters and if a ray encounters them it is refracted and transmitted.

This was just something I wanted to experiment with to see if I could bend light around and object. The results are pretty cool and the light seem to bend so perfectly I'm a bit suspicious. Can someone who know a lot about optics take a look a the results and tell me if you think they are within the realms of possibility.

The lenses have a refractive index of 1.65.

I have included a picture but I have also included a link to a vector file (.svg) which can be opened in any web browser and you can zoom into your hearts content (ctrl +)

NB the blue line is tangent to the large circle and parallel to all initial rays, so any rays that appear on the right half of the image would otherwise have been absorbed (ignoring diffraction)

1F70.png

Vector Link

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I am just confused from your picture or what, but I believe that rays should be bending around the object, and from the picture it seems as though the rays are bending out the object. Does that make sense?

Also assuming that the rays from the right, their thickness is the amount of light that is being reflected around the object, the thickness seems to coincide with reason. Since less and less light should bend away towards the object which is what is being shown.

Hi there thanks for your reply. Just to clarify the rays are approaching the object from the left. The small circles are lenses which totally transmit light, and the big thing absorbs light. The rays on the right are rays that would otherwise have been absorbed by the big circle, but have instead been refracted (not reflected) around the big circle. Their thickness is just where multiple rays have lined up close together making what appears to be a thicker ray.

Then yes, the refraction does seem to make sense, whether it makes sense mathematically I wouldn't be able to tell you.

1. What is ray tracing?

Ray tracing is a method used in optics to understand how light behaves when it interacts with different surfaces and materials. It involves tracing the path of a light ray from its source to the observer, taking into account the properties of the materials it encounters and how it is affected by them.

2. How does ray tracing work?

Ray tracing works by using mathematical equations to simulate the behavior of light rays as they pass through different materials and surfaces. This allows us to predict how light will be bent, reflected, or absorbed, and how it will appear to the observer.

3. What is the purpose of using circular lenses in ray tracing?

Circular lenses are often used in ray tracing to control and manipulate the path of light rays. By bending the light in specific ways, circular lenses can create a variety of optical effects, such as magnification, focus, and distortion.

4. What are some applications of ray tracing in optics?

Ray tracing has many practical applications in optics, including designing and optimizing optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics, where it is used to create realistic visual effects in movies and video games.

5. What are the limitations of ray tracing?

One of the main limitations of ray tracing is that it is a time-consuming process, as it involves tracing the path of each individual light ray. This can make it difficult to simulate complex optical systems or real-world scenarios. Additionally, ray tracing does not take into account certain phenomena such as diffraction and scattering, which can affect the behavior of light in some situations.