Coefficient of static friction with cable

In summary: To measure static friction, you have to do it more slowly, so that you are not measuring the force required to accelerate the block.In summary, during a physics lab, a spring scale was used to determine the coefficient of static and sliding friction. Different trial runs were conducted with various pulling speeds, and it was observed that while the coefficient of sliding friction remained constant, the coefficient of static friction increased with faster pulls. The reason for this increase was not initially understood, but it was eventually realized that it was due to the jerky and sudden movements during faster pulls, resulting in a higher peak force reading. The correct way to measure static friction is to slowly increase the force until the object just starts moving, as this ensures that only static friction is
bendel
We did a lab in physics class to determine the coefficient of static and sliding friction. basically we used a spring scale to determine how many Newtons of force was required to just get a block moving and then to keep it moving. We needed to do several trial runs with a slow, fast, and faster pull. After the block was moving, the coefficient of sliding friction were all about the same, however the coefficient of static friction became larger when we pulled faster. My teacher was unable to give me an explanation and told me that velocity should have nothing to do with coefficient of friction because it is not in the formula(Ff=uN). It makes sense to me that if you are trying to accelerate the object faster, it is going to take a lot more force to get it to move than if you are increasing the force little by little until it just barely moves. Can anyone help me understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

bendel said:
… however the coefficient of static friction became larger when we pulled faster …

Hi bendel ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I take it you mean, when you pulled more suddenly?

I suspect it was because you were pulling jerkily as you pulled harder, and perhaps the block "dug in" more.

Have you tried pulling something like a fridge (without wheels) across a floor? The more weight you let the leading edge take, the more difficult it is to move!

Yeah … try it with a fridge! :smile:

In the case of the faster pull, you created a larger jerk, which resulted in a higher peak force reading because of the rate of initial acceleration of the block. This had nothing to do with the static coefficient of friction.

:confused:

wot's a peak force?

are you saying it's a defect in the measuring instrument?

The way I'm thinking of it in my head is similar to the difference of throwing a box with an elastic rope attached off of a truck that is moving 60mph, and dragging a a box from behind the truck starting slow and accelerating. There is obviously going to be more of a stretch in the rope in the first scenario but what is the logical reason?

The only correct way to measure static friction is to start with a stationary object and slowly increase the force until the object starts moving. Only this way you can be sure that the force was just big enough to overcome static friction.

An experiment where you start to pull with a force big enough to cause movement has nothing to do with measuring static friction.

If you pull faster, and accelerate the block, you are measuring both friction and the force it takes to accelerate the block.

What is the coefficient of static friction with cable?

The coefficient of static friction with cable is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact with a cable. It is represented by the symbol µs and is a dimensionless value.

How is the coefficient of static friction with cable calculated?

The coefficient of static friction with cable is calculated by dividing the maximum force required to move an object along the cable by the weight of the object. This can be expressed as µs = Fmax/W.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction with cable?

The coefficient of static friction with cable is affected by several factors, including the material and surface properties of the cable and the surface it is in contact with, the angle of the cable, and the tension of the cable.

Why is the coefficient of static friction with cable important?

The coefficient of static friction with cable is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the amount of force needed to maintain the stability of an object on a cable, such as a suspension bridge or a zipline. It also helps in the design and construction of cable systems to ensure safety and efficiency.

What is the difference between coefficient of static friction with cable and coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction with cable measures the force needed to overcome the initial static friction between two surfaces in contact with a cable. The coefficient of kinetic friction, on the other hand, measures the force needed to keep the surfaces in motion once the object is already moving along the cable. In general, the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.