Why doesn't static friction move the other object?

In summary, when considering a block sitting on top of a table, pushing the block rightwards will cause static friction to act leftwards on the block. By Newton's 3rd Law, static friction should also act rightwards on the table, resulting in a net rightwards force on the table. However, if the table is on a frictionless surface, it will move. In the case of pushing the table so that it is on the verge of slipping, the block on top of the table will also move. This can be seen through two free body diagrams, one for the block and one for the table. This scenario is similar to pushing a box in a pick-up truck or a waitress holding a tray of beer steins.
phantomvommand
Consider a block sitting on top of a table.

When we push the block rightwards, static friction opposes its motion by acting leftwards on the block.

By Newton's 3rd Law, static friction should act rightwards on the table.

There is now a net rightwards force on the table. Why doesn't the table move?

Assume the table is on a frictionless surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
phantomvommand said:
Why doesn't the table move?

Who says it doesn't? Have you TRIED this experiment?

phinds said:
Who says it doesn't? Have you TRIED this experiment?
Sorry, I stated my question wrongly.

If we pushed the table (on the frictionless surface) such that it is on the verge of slipping, does the block on the table move?

phantomvommand said:
Why doesn't the table move?

Assume the table is on a frictionless surface.
If the table is on a frictionless surface then it does move.

Dale said:
If the table is on a frictionless surface then it does move.
Sorry, I stated my question wrongly.

If we pushed the table (on the frictionless surface) such that it is on the verge of slipping, does the block on the table move?

You should draw two free body diagrams. One for the block and one for the table. That should make it pretty clear, and will make it easy to solve quantitatively.

Dale said:
You should draw two free body diagrams. One for the block and one for the table. That should make it pretty clear, and will make it easy to solve quantitatively.
Wld I be right to say that the object does move?

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 1.28.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 1.28.56 AM.png

I ask this because this exam question seems to suggest that the Horse (analogous to the object) can somehow remain on the verge of slipping.

We assume that the table/tablecloth interface is frictionless.

[edit: Regarding the horse/tablecoth, what kind of friction are we talking about ? ]

hmmm27 said:
We assume that the table/tablecloth interface is frictionless.
Which means that the leftward static friction force acts on the table cloth along the Horse/cloth interface?

By N3L, a rightward static friction acts on the horse?

Likes jbriggs444
phantomvommand said:
Are you pushing the table so that the table is on the verge of slipping against the block?

[Based on the toy horse example, the answer is "yes"]

If the floor is frictionless, this is actually an identical scenario to pushing the block so that the block is on the verge of slipping against the table. You have two objects with a fixed normal force between them and a non-zero coefficient of friction for their mating surfaces. One object is subject to an external force. No other [horizontal] forces are acting.

Similarly, one could place a box of tools in the bed of a pick-up truck and gently accelerate from a red light. Can one maintain a steady acceleration such that the box is always on the verge of slipping toward the rear of the bed?

Can a waitress holding a tray of beer steins keep the tray perfectly horizontal as she moves smoothly across the room to the table of thirsty businessmen, accelerating and then decellerating as she goes?

If you put a coin on top of a textbook, can you keep the book level while moving it back and forth so that the coin stays in place relative to the book? [I tried it 10 seconds ago. Yes, I can]

Last edited:

1. Why doesn't static friction cause an object to move?

Static friction is a force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other, but it only prevents the surfaces from sliding past each other. It does not cause any movement on its own.

2. How does static friction differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding past each other. The force of static friction is typically greater than the force of kinetic friction.

3. Can the force of static friction ever cause an object to move?

No, the force of static friction can only prevent an object from moving. Once the applied force exceeds the maximum force of static friction, the object will start to move and kinetic friction will take over.

4. What factors affect the force of static friction?

The force of static friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and any other external forces acting on the object.

5. Why is static friction important in everyday life?

Static friction is important because it allows us to walk, drive, and perform many other tasks without slipping or sliding. It also helps keep objects in place, such as books on a shelf or a cup on a table.