Register to reply

Dashed arrow and solid arrow in category theory

by navigator
Tags: arrow, category, dashed, solid, theory
Share this thread:
navigator
Apr8-08, 06:29 AM
P: 41
In category theory,what is the difference between dashed arrow and solid arrow?I am just curious why there is not any textbook which I could find mention about it formally .heh...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
morphism
Apr8-08, 10:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
You mean something like this?

The contexts I've seen it used in usually imply the existence and uniqueness of a certain morphism.
navigator
Apr9-08, 08:56 AM
yeh.That is what i mean.so solid arrow imply "forall"([tex] \forall [/tex]),dashed arrow imply "exists"([tex] \exists [/tex]),all right?

morphism
Apr9-08, 03:17 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Dashed arrow and solid arrow in category theory

I don't quite understand what you mean!
navigator
Apr11-08, 09:14 AM
In your example,If the arrow U(g) is solid,it means
[tex] \forall U(g)[U(g) \circ \phi = f] [/tex],and when the arrow U(g) is dashed,then it means [tex] \exists U(g)[U(g) \circ \phi = f] [/tex],right?
LukeD
Apr12-08, 12:42 PM
P: 355
A solid arrow signifies that the morphism exists. A dashed arrow signifies that the morphism exists and is the unique morphism that makes the diagram commute.

For instance, in this diagram http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Product-03.png
(this is the definition of a product), the object X1 x X2 along with the morphisms Pi1 and Pi2 from X1 x X2 to X1 and to X2 respectively is called the product of X1 and X2 if for every object Y and morphisms f1:Y->X1 and f2:Y->X2, there exists a unique (meaning of dashed arrow) morphism f that makes the diagram commute.

Any time any arrow or object is drawn on the diagram, it has to exist. Any time an arrow is dashed, the morphism is unique. Some times other decorations are used on the arrows to signify some algebraic properties of the morphisms. For instance, a "split tail" on an arrow signifies that it is monic (Definition and picture (both a bit hidden, sorry) here: http://dlxs2.library.cornell.edu/cgi...S;frm=frameset) and a "double head" signifies that it is epic (Definition and picture here: http://dlxs2.library.cornell.edu/cgi...w=image;seq=55 ) while both of these together signifies that it is an isomorphism.

Diagrams are useful tools to help show what the the author is trying to convey, but by themselves, they mean nothing. I can use the same diagram with a bunch of arrows to help illustrate a proof about a diagram commuting, or I can use it to illustrate a definition or a proof that a certain morphism exists and has some property. A good book will present a diagram as an aide but still present a proof and just refer back to the diagram to help the reader understand what morphism is doing what.
navigator
Apr14-08, 01:33 AM
Thanks for your helpful answers.
stevensenger
Feb10-09, 07:35 PM
P: 1
Thanks so much for this post. It was very helpful!

Register to reply