Category Theory - Isomorphisms of Posets

In summary, "Category Theory: Second Edition" by Steve Awodey defines isomorphisms in any category as an arrow that has an inverse arrow, and two objects are isomorphic if there exists an isomorphism between them. This definition has the advantage of being applicable in any category, unlike other definitions that rely on specific properties of the objects. However, in certain contexts, such as in the category of posets, bijective homomorphisms may not necessarily be isomorphisms. This is illustrated by examples from topology and posets. It is important to note that arrows in a category are not always functions, and homomorphisms in posets are defined as order-preserving maps.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am beginning to read "Category Theory: Second Edition" by Steve Awodey.

On page 12 (see attachment) he defines isomorphisms as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition 1.3. In any category,\(\displaystyle C \), an arrow \(\displaystyle f \ : \ A \to B \) is called an isomorphism, if there is an arrow \(\displaystyle g \ : \ B \to A \) such that

\(\displaystyle g \circ f = 1_A \text{ and } f \circ g = 1_B \)

Since inverses are unique (proof?), we write \(\displaystyle g = f^{-1} \). We say that A is isomorphic to B, written \(\displaystyle A \cong B \), if there exists an isomorphism between them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awodey then writes:

"... ... (this definition) has the advantage over other possible definitions that it applies in any category. For example, one sometimes defines an isomorphism of sets (monoids etc.) as a bijective function (respectively homomorphism) , that is, one that is "1-1" and onto - making use of the elements of the objects. This is equivalent to our definition in some cases, such as sets and monoids. But note that in the category of posets, Pos, the category theoretic definition gives the right notion, while there are "bijective homomorphisms" between non-isomorphic posets. ... ..."

BUT ... I thought previously that an isomorphism was defined as a bijective homomorphism ... but it seems this is only suitable for some contexts ... ?

I cannot imagine two posets with a bijective homomorphism between them that is not an isomorphism ... can someone come up with an example of such a case ...

Further, since I do not know much about posets can someone supply a good reference - online notes or text? (Awodey is threatening to use posets and monoids as examples throughout the text!)

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry if this is absurd, but I didn't read with complete attention, so bear with me. The problem is, I think, that although bijective homomorphisms are isomorphisms (in the categorical sense, isomorphisms (in the categorical sense) are not necessarily bijective homomorphisms.

An example of an morphism that is epi, but not surjective, is a homomorphism from $\mathbb{Z}$ to $\mathbb{Q}$, in the category of rings with morphisms that preserve the multiplicative identity. So it's not that strange that there are morphisms that are iso, but are not bijective functions.

In category theory the collection of morphisms between two objects is denoted by $\text{hom}(A,B)$. This can possibly be empty. We typically think of $\text{hom}(A,B)$ as the homomorphisms from $A$ to $B$. But this is abstract. It is just a collection of stuff, called morphisms, associated for every pair $(A,B)$.

ModusPonens said:
I'm sorry if this is absurd, but I didn't read with complete attention, so bear with me. The problem is, I think, that although bijective homomorphisms are isomorphisms (in the categorical sense, isomorphisms (in the categorical sense) are not necessarily bijective homomorphisms.

An example of an morphism that is epi, but not surjective, is a homomorphism from $\mathbb{Z}$ to $\mathbb{Q}$, in the category of rings with morphisms that preserve the multiplicative identity. So it's not that strange that there are morphisms that are iso, but are not bijective functions.

Thanks ModusPonens ... but given what you say I am having trouble processing Awodey's remark as follows:

" ... ... there are bijective homomorphisms between non-isomorphic posets ..."

Doesn't this mean that for posets, a bijective homomorphism is not (necessarily) an isomorphism?

Or am I making some logical error?

Peter

Peter said:
" ... ... there are bijective homomorphisms between non-isomorphic ..."
Here is an example from topology.

Consider category Top, it consists of all topological spaces and the morphisms between two topological spaces are continuous maps between them. Two topological spaces are called homeomorphic if they are isomorphic in the categorical sense. It is not true however that if $f:X\to Y$ is a continuous bijection between topological spaces that necessarily $f^{-1}:Y\to X$ is continuous as well.

Peter said:
Thanks ModusPonens ... but given what you say I am having trouble processing Awodey's remark as follows:

" ... ... there are bijective homomorphisms between non-isomorphic posets ..."

Doesn't this mean that for posets, a bijective homomorphism is not (necessarily) an isomorphism?

Or am I making some logical error?

Peter

You're correct. And Hacker's example is perfect. Sorry for complicating this.

It is important to realize that "arrows" are not always "functions".

For example, in a poset with the unique arrow $f:a \to b$ defined iff $a \leq b$, the arrows are not functions of any sort.

Another interesting example is the following category, where the collection of objects is the set of positive integers, and an arrow:

$f:k \to m$ is a $m\times k$ matrix with entries in a given commutative ring.

A homomorphism between two posets is defined to be an order-preserving map. So consider the map $\phi:\Bbb N^+ \to \Bbb N^+$ defined by:

$\phi(k) = k$, which is clearly bijective.

Order the first copy by divisibility and the second copy by the usual "less than or equal to".

It follows that $\phi$ is an order-preserving map, since if:

$a|b$ we have $a \leq b$.

However, $\phi^{-1}$ is NOT an order-preserving map, since $a \leq b$ does not imply $a|b$ (take $a = 2, b = 3$), so it is not a "homomorphism of posets".

1. What is a poset?

A poset, or partially ordered set, is a mathematical structure comprised of a set of elements and a binary relation that defines a partial order on the elements. This partial order is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric.

2. How are isomorphisms defined in category theory?

In category theory, an isomorphism is a morphism between two objects that has an inverse. This means that there exists another morphism that, when composed with the original morphism, yields the identity morphism for both objects.

3. What is the significance of isomorphisms in posets?

Isomorphisms in posets are important because they allow for the comparison and identification of similar structures within different posets. They also provide a way to transform one poset into another while preserving the underlying structure.

4. How can isomorphisms be used to simplify posets?

Isomorphisms can be used to simplify posets by identifying and removing redundant or unnecessary elements and relations. This can help to make the poset easier to understand and work with.

5. Can there be multiple isomorphisms between two posets?

Yes, there can be multiple isomorphisms between two posets. This is because isomorphisms are not unique and can vary depending on the specific elements and relations within the posets.