Register to reply

Force to Open A Door

by LeeH
Tags: door, force
Share this thread:
LeeH
Apr10-08, 06:42 AM
P: 5
Please can one of you brainy people out there help me. I need to work out the force to open a door when there is a 60pascal pressure acting against it.

The size of the door is 1000mm wide x 2000mm high.
The differential Pressure is 60 pascals
The handle is 70mm away from the leading edge of the door.

Ideally I need the calculation so I do the calc myself on future projects.

I did find the attached documents, just not fully sure what figures to use where.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Daiquiri
Apr10-08, 07:58 AM
P: 55
The area of the door is:
A = 2 m2
Force = A [tex]\Delta[/tex]p
This force acts at the center of the door.
Now that you have a force and its point of application, you can calculate the value of the counteracting force at the handle.

Hint: consider moment equilibrium at the door's hinge.

P.S.
It only works at the time zero, before the door starts to rotate. After that, the air starts to leak in (or out) and things get quite nasty, involving a 3D fluid dynamics.
pidfire
Dec20-09, 05:51 AM
P: 1
I agree with the last post, but If there is a handle to open too you will have more than one equation, first torque times distance to open the handle and then.... carry on with the last comment unless I have missed the point. Also I don't thing think the pressure will effect the center of the door, but the centroid of the door. But what do I know I am just a dumb college student.

LeeH
Dec24-09, 04:07 AM
Force to Open A Door

Guys, thanks for all your help so far, but I am still unsure what the force to open my door is. Could one of you spell it out for me in very simple terms and do the calculation so I can see what the answer is and how to do it.

Thanks
Borek
Dec24-09, 04:26 AM
Admin
P: 23,719
Quote Quote by pidfire View Post
Also I don't thing think the pressure will effect the center of the door, but the centroid of the door.
Most doors are rectangular, some are round - in both cases centers are in the same point. So while you are in general right, it doesn't matter.
Borek
Dec24-09, 04:28 AM
Admin
P: 23,719
Quote Quote by LeeH View Post
Guys, thanks for all your help so far, but I am still unsure what the force to open my door is. Could one of you spell it out for me in very simple terms and do the calculation so I can see what the answer is and how to do it.
You need to calculate force acting on the door - that is, pressure times surface area. Then you have a second class lever at work.
LeeH
Dec24-09, 05:16 AM
Okay, so

A = 2 m2
Force = A (delta)p

Force = 2 x 60
Force = 120Pa

If 10 Pascals is equivalent of 1Kg of force /M2

Force = 12Kg (to open door - exluding application of second class lever)

Register to reply