Opening a door between a vacuum and atmosphere

In summary, the proposed design is to have a second door that will allow the furnace to remain fully closed, and will minimise the heat lost each time the ash discharge door is opened. This is important because it is connected to the ingress of air at atmospheric temperature that would take place with the door open, which would in turn lower the temperature in the furnace.
DanielG1
TL;DR Summary
How do I determine the air flow between a vacuum and atmosphere when a door is opened?
I work as part of the engineering team running an incinerator. When the ash is removed from our furnace, it creates an open system between the furnace (which is close to being a vacuum) and the atmosphere. For many reasons, this is not ideal. We are looking to add a second door to this ash discharge, so that the system can remain fully closed. In order to justify the expenditure, I am required to give a value for the heat lost every time the ash discharge door is opened, and then scale this for the amount of energy lost annually, and then the financial impact. I am not sure where to start with these calculations as I never covered something like this during my degree, nor have I encountered this problem during my career.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What mechanism is employed to remove the ash?

Now, with one door, the furnace will rise to atmospheric pressure for the entire period that the door is opened. What effect does that have on heat loss ?

Opening a door between atmospheric pressure and near vacuum will result in an explosive decompression of the furnace, a bit like an aircraft skin failure.

With two doors, the furnace will draw in only a fixed volume of air, from between the two doors, when the inner door is opened. If the volume between the doors is small compared with the furnace volume, then the furnace will not rise all the way to atmospheric pressure when the inner door is opened.

The ash collects on top of a simple drop door which is released to allow the ash to enter a skip, before the door is closed using a set of hydraulic rams.

The heat loss issue is connected to the ingress of air at atmospheric temperature that would take place with the door open, which would in turn lower the temperature in the furnace.

Your comment on the proposed two-door design is exactly what we are hoping to achieve. With a second door the furnace temperature and pressure should not vary too much during a de-ash, which would be both safer and more efficient.

I think you should consider a butterfly valve as the top door. That would be balanced and so would not need a great hydraulic pressure to remain closed during operation. The door would invert quickly, only once per cycle. The ash side could be brushed after inversion, with the ash falling to, or through, the bottom door.

The pressure of the chamber between the doors could be gently equilibrated before operation of either door. That would prevent a sudden rush of air that could blow ash back into the furnace.

The bottom door could be a simple flap, in the shape of half a cylinder that, when closed, comes close to the upper butterfly. That door would be a self-sealed plug, held by the pressure difference, while the butterfly was inverting. That would minimise the volume of the intermediate chamber, and minimise the energy needed to equilibrate the pressure.

Is the base of the furnace circular or rectangular? That will decide the shape of the butterfly, circular or rectangular, and the shape of the lower door, hemispherical or semi-cylindrical.

If the ash removal process occurred more often, a heat exchanger could minimise energy loss during the two pressure equilibration phases of each cycle.

Maybe it is time to search the literature on current technology, time to stop thinking outside the firebox.

Likes Tom.G and Lnewqban

1. What happens when you open a door between a vacuum and atmosphere?

When you open a door between a vacuum and atmosphere, the air from the atmosphere will rush into the vacuum to equalize the pressure. This will create a strong force that can cause the door to slam shut or even break if the vacuum is strong enough.

2. Can a vacuum be created by opening a door between a vacuum and atmosphere?

No, a vacuum cannot be created by simply opening a door between a vacuum and atmosphere. A vacuum is a space that is completely devoid of matter, and the air from the atmosphere will always rush in to fill any empty space.

3. Is it dangerous to open a door between a vacuum and atmosphere?

It can be dangerous to open a door between a vacuum and atmosphere if the vacuum is strong enough. The sudden rush of air can create a strong force that can cause the door to slam shut or even break. Additionally, if the vacuum is created by a harmful substance, opening the door can release it into the atmosphere.

4. How is a vacuum created in the first place?

A vacuum is created by removing all matter, including air, from a space. This can be done through various methods such as using a vacuum pump or cooling a gas until it condenses into a liquid, leaving behind a vacuum.

5. What are some practical applications of opening a door between a vacuum and atmosphere?

One practical application is in vacuum chambers used for scientific experiments or industrial processes. By opening a door between the vacuum and atmosphere, materials can be introduced into the vacuum for testing or processing. Another application is in space exploration, where spacecraft use a vacuum to protect against the harsh conditions of outer space.