Register to reply

Positron-electron annihilation

by Physicsissuef
Tags: annihilation, positronelectron
Share this thread:
Physicsissuef
Apr17-08, 12:38 PM
P: 908
Do the gamma rays (from positron-electron annihilation) must interact to have reversible reaction? I read in my text book that this reaction is reversible? Is that true?
The reaction:

[tex]
^{0}_{-1}e+ ^{0}_{+1}e \rightarrow 2 \gamma
[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
pam
Apr17-08, 01:58 PM
P: 455
In principle, the reverse is possible. It is just difficult to achieve experimentally.
Physicsissuef
Apr17-08, 02:53 PM
Does the gamma rays must interact?

mathman
Apr17-08, 06:43 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,077
Positron-electron annihilation

Quote Quote by Physicsissuef View Post
Does the gamma rays must interact?

Yes. Right after the big bang, when the universe was very small and very hot, gamma-gamma reactions were taking place not only for electron-positron pairs, but heavier particle-antiparticle pairs (such as proton-antiproton or neutron-antineutron) also.
Physicsissuef
Apr18-08, 04:13 AM
but how those gamma rays will interact them selfs when they are going parallel to each other?
kosher
Apr18-08, 06:56 AM
P: 3
You should visit wiki pedia to check the phenomenon of pair production; also if I am not wrong then it is not necessary to for the production of electron and positron pair that we should annihilate two gamma rays. A single gamma (photon) ray having energy greater then 1.02 Mev can be splitted in to electron positron pair, when ever an attempt to stop it with the help of nuclei of heavy element is made. Moreover two gamma rays moving parallel to each other, I donít think they will annihilate in to electron positron pair.
malawi_glenn
Apr18-08, 10:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,738
Physicsissuef: It does not have to be the same photons which are emitted in the annihilation process of the electron and positron. Any two photons which have enough energy may produce electron - positron pairs.

kosher: There is a difference between gamma-gamma reactions and pair production. Gamma-gamma reactions are a photon interacting with another photon. In pair production, one has a photon of E > 1.022MeV producing a electron - positron pair, this reaction MUST take place near an atomic nucleus or an atomic electron.
Physicsissuef
Apr18-08, 03:30 PM
Here is the picture from my book. That's why I said they are parallel.
Physicsissuef
Apr20-08, 09:18 AM
Anybody knows, please? How will the reverse reaction go?
malawi_glenn
Apr20-08, 09:24 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Anybody knows, please? How will the reverse reaction go?
It depends on how the initial electron-postiron pair annihilates, remember our discussion in the other thread? Initial momentum = final momentum & initial energy = final energy
Physicsissuef
Apr20-08, 10:26 AM
Yes, but for the reverse reaction they must interact, how will they interact when they are parallel?
malawi_glenn
Apr20-08, 10:30 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Post #7:

It does not have to be the same photons which are emitted in the annihilation process of the electron and positron. Any two photons which have enough energy may produce electron - positron pairs is good enough.
Redbelly98
Apr21-08, 04:51 PM
Mentor
P: 12,071
Here is the picture from my book. That's why I said they are parallel.
That picture is misleading. They should not be parallel.

Register to reply