What do you see?

by ~christina~
Tags: None
~christina~
Apr25-08, 02:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 820
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...l?from=mostpop

I personally see it going counter clockwise which means I have absolutely no imagination and am left brained and this might explain how I can only draw by technically photocopying a picture into my brain and then producing that on paper as an enlarged or reduced size picture with a pencil but have absolutely no capability to "create" a cartoon or person picture on my own.

They say you can go and reverse the way the person is spinning but it's just not feasible to my brain.

so..what do you see?

help in determining what you are seeing below:
http://www.whatapps.com/wp-content/u...ain_game_2.jpg
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
wolram
Apr25-08, 03:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,671
That is weird, i was sat here thinking it is going anti clockwise how can anyone see it differently, when it started to go clockwise for a few seconds then reverted to anti clock wise.
I have to go to the doctors tomorrow anyway.
siddharth
Apr25-08, 03:32 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
I can see it go both ways. Just keep looking at it, and you'll see it switch directions

hypatia
Apr25-08, 06:10 AM
P: 1,296

What do you see?

Oh good, glad I wasent the only one one seeing it fo both ways. The switch sort of startled me.
wolram
Apr25-08, 06:37 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,671
I took this test to check my brain out.

http://www.wherecreativitygoestoscho.../rb_results.pl

I am 52 left 48 right.
t-bone-steak
Apr25-08, 06:43 AM
P: 4
cant see how anyone could see it going clockwise, its clearly anti clockwise
lisab
Apr25-08, 07:45 AM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Clockwise...I can't see it any other way.

But my connection must be poor, since she keeps pausing for a second or two.

Update: I just looked again, but not directly at her...and she switched directions for a few seconds! How bizzarre!
Kurdt
Apr25-08, 07:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
I can see both.
dst
Apr25-08, 08:23 AM
P: 389
I can see both but in reality - this is bollocks.

It IS actually clockwise if your brain takes into account all the detail - specifically, the shadow. It's impossible for the shadow to act like that if she's spinning anti-clockwise regardless of the light source.

The image isn't spinning but doing a weird sort of flip.
Danger
Apr25-08, 09:17 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
It didn't reverse while I was looking at it, but every time I looked away for a few seconds it changed. I'm ambidextrous, though, so I don't have a hemisphere dominance.
Cyrus
Apr25-08, 10:23 AM
P: 4,780
I saw big boobies. (going clockwise).
Jimmy Snyder
Apr25-08, 10:31 AM
P: 2,163
I see a beautiful woman dancing. She smiles as she beckons me to unimaginable pleasures. I reach out ... wait here comes my wife. I see a shadow sometimes turning clockwise, sometime anticlockwise. Has the old bat left yet?
moe darklight
Apr25-08, 10:31 AM
P: 411
didn't someone post this thing before?

anyway, I can make it go either way as I choose. I'm left handed; I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Gokul43201
Apr25-08, 10:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Quote Quote by dst View Post
It IS actually clockwise if your brain takes into account all the detail - specifically, the shadow. It's impossible for the shadow to act like that if she's spinning anti-clockwise regardless of the light source.
Good point! The shadow breaks the degeneracy. I can only picture her going clockwise (looking from above), but absent the shadow, I know that she can be just as easily pictured going counter-clockwise. Still, after a minute or so of trying (with the shadow hidden), I couldn't get myself to picture a counter-clockwise rotation.

PS: See also: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/fcs_hollow-face/index.html
Mech_Engineer
Apr25-08, 10:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
I can see it going either direction, with just a little bit of concentration.
Astronuc
Apr25-08, 10:55 AM
Admin
P: 21,637
I generally see it clockwise based on right leg extended, and for balance one would turn clockwise. If left leg was extended (and body tilted accordingly), then it would appear counter-clockwise.

If I look at it, I can actually see it going either way, but ccw just looks weird and unnatural.

Nicely proportioned - btw.
B. Elliott
Apr25-08, 10:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 386
I stared at it a good five or six minutes and don't understand how anyone can see it spinning counter-clockwise. Her right arm and right leg is bent at approximately a 45 angle. That same arm and leg appears on her right side and continues to swing around to the front, then continues to left and back around again... clockwise.

If she was appearing to spin counterclockwise, wouldn't her limbs be moving from left to right when she is facing the viewer?
lisab
Apr25-08, 11:15 AM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by B. Elliott View Post
I stared at it a good five or six minutes and don't understand how anyone can see it spinning counter-clockwise. Her right arm and right leg is bent at approximately a 45 angle. That same arm and leg appears on her right side and continues to swing around to the front, then continues to left and back around again... clockwise.

If she was appearing to spin counterclockwise, wouldn't her limbs be moving from left to right when she is facing the viewer?
Try looking about 10 cm to the left. When I do that, she goes counter-clockwise. Then move your eyes to the shadow, and she pops back to clockwise.

Register to reply