Do you see any "spirality" in this picture?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a picture with craters that appear to have a slight tendency to form rough spirals. The speaker asks for the other person's opinion on whether they see clockwise or anticlockwise spirals. The other person responds by stating that when looking at the craters from the center and moving outward to the right, they see a clockwise direction. However, they also mention that it may be a trick of the mind and that there may be a mathematical way to analyze the photo for any chirality. Another person joins in the conversation and states that they do not see any spirals, but instead detect an image of the Virgin Mary. The first person responds by mentioning that the photo is a composite and the
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
When I look at this picture, the craters seem to have a slight tendency to form rough spirals. (I won't say if they seem to be clockwise or anticlockwise, because I'd like to know what you think -- and I don't want to bias you).

So if you feel there is any spirally stuff going on at all, please reply saying if it is clockwise or anticlockwise going out from the center.

npole_thumb.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting from the center. move outward and to the right.

1595416982526.png

If you place a little vector at the center of each crater with the head of the vector pointing towards the sun lite side of the crater rim the vectors tend to point clockwise. I don't know if that throws off my judgment. I guess there is a mathematical way to analyze the photo to determine any chirality?

Likes russ_watters
I see no spiral. However, I detect an image of the Virgin Mary...

Zz.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, rsk, gmax137 and 2 others
Sometimes it is CW, sometimes CCW. Looks like one of these small tricks our minds play with us.

Likes BillTre
No. This is a composite photo. You're seeing an artifact of processing.

Different sections of the body are taken at different times - to optimize lighting and contrast - and then stitched together digitally.

Look at the shadows of individual craters. They come from all directions:

1595425095342.png

The "spirality" you're seeing is simply because all shadows are arcing outward.

Likes russ_watters, rsk, Swamp Thing and 5 others
1595442206399.png

Attachments

• 1595442158468.png
    1595442158468.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 105
Likes russ_watters, rsk, Swamp Thing and 1 other person
I see this from top down view.

Likes Swamp Thing and DaveC426913

1. What is "spirality" in reference to a picture?

"Spirality" in this context refers to the presence of spiral-like shapes or patterns in the picture.

2. How can I identify "spirality" in a picture?

Look for repeating spiral shapes or patterns, such as curves or lines that gradually increase or decrease in size.

3. What causes "spirality" to appear in a picture?

"Spirality" can be caused by natural phenomena, such as the Fibonacci sequence in plants, or it can be intentionally created through art or design techniques.

4. Is "spirality" a common occurrence in pictures?

It depends on the subject of the picture and the perspective of the viewer. Some pictures may have obvious spirals, while others may not show any at all.

5. Are there any scientific theories or studies on the significance of "spirality" in pictures?

Yes, there have been studies on the psychological and aesthetic impact of spirals in art and design. Some theories suggest that spirals evoke a sense of movement and balance, while others believe they represent growth and evolution.