Definite intergration area under curve bounded with line

In summary, the problem involves finding the exact area under a curve that has the equation y = x{3} - 8x^{2} + 20x and stationary points A and B. The region R, bounded by the curve, the x-axis, and a line through point B parallel to the y-axis, needs to be calculated. The solution involves integrating a polynomial and adding the area of a triangle.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

A cruve has the equation [tex]y = x{3} - 8x^{2} + 20x [/tex]. The curve has stationary points A and B. There is a line through B parallel to y-axis and meets the x-axis at the point N. The region R is bounded by the curve , the x-axis and the line from A to N. Find the exact area under the curve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I found the x co-ords of A and B, which is [tex]\frac{10}{3}[/tex] or 2. I intergrated the curve and got

[tex]\frac{4x^{3}}{4} - \frac{8x^{3}}{3}+10x^{2}[/tex]

no +C as we'll be having limits i presume

But i don't know how to get the area of region R... as there is a stupid line in the way!

Can somebody show/help me to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey

My first advice is to a picture of your problem. After that you notice that the exercise is to calculate the integral from x=A to x=B of f, i.e. integration of a polynomial. I expect you know how to do that.

i can intergrate a polynominal easily and in the question paper there is a picture of the question. But because of this AN line, it's thrown me. How would you go about doing it.

Thanks

Hi thomas! :smile:

If I've understood the question right, all you have to do is add a triangle (whose area is obvious), and you get the standard integral. :smile:

ahhh i see cheerz :)

What is definite integration area under curve bounded with line?

Definite integration area under curve bounded with line is a mathematical concept used to find the area between a curve and a straight line over a specific interval. It involves finding the definite integral of a function within the given boundaries.

Why is definite integration area under curve bounded with line important?

Definite integration area under curve bounded with line is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to calculate important values such as distance, velocity, and acceleration from given data. It also helps in solving optimization problems and finding the total amount of a quantity.

What is the difference between definite integration area under curve bounded with line and indefinite integration?

Definite integration area under curve bounded with line involves finding the area between a curve and a straight line over a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding a function that produces a given derivative. In other words, definite integration gives a specific numerical value, while indefinite integration gives a general formula.

How is definite integration area under curve bounded with line calculated?

To calculate definite integration area under curve bounded with line, we use the fundamental theorem of calculus. First, we find the indefinite integral of the function, then we substitute the upper and lower limits of the interval into the formula and find the difference between the two values.

What are some real-life applications of definite integration area under curve bounded with line?

Definite integration area under curve bounded with line has many real-life applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find the distance traveled, finding the total revenue of a company, and determining the average temperature over a period of time. It is also used in physics to calculate work and in economics to calculate consumer and producer surplus.