Gradient of Vector A: What Does It Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the gradient operator and the gradient of a vector. The former is a first-order operator while the latter is a second-order tensor. The gradient of a vector is obtained by taking the partial derivatives of the vector's components with respect to the spatial components.
enricfemi
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A}[/tex]

when a gradient operater act on a vector,what is it stand for ?

Physics news on Phys.org
enricfemi said:

when a gradient operater act on a vector,what is it stand for ?

Visually, what you wrote looks like

[tex]\nabla_{\vec A}[/tex]

The title of the thread and your LaTeX suggests you meant

[tex]\nabla \vec A[/tex]

These are two different things. The first is an operator, the gradient with respect to the components of [itex]\vec A[/itex], rather than the normal gradient which is take with respect to spatial components. The second form is the gradient of a vector. It is a second-order tensor. If [tex]\vec A = \sum_k a_k \hat x_k[/tex],

[tex](\nabla \vec A)_{i,j} = \frac{\partial a_i}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

BTW, it is best not to separate things the way you did in the original post. Here is your original equation as-is:

Now look at how this appears when written as a single LaTeX equation:

[tex]\nabla\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A}[/tex]

Last edited:
D H said:
The second form is the gradient of a vector. It is a second-order tensor. If [tex]\vec A = \sum_k a_k \hat x_k[/tex],

[tex](\nabla \vec A)_{i,j} = \frac{\partial a_i}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

Does this make a matrix using row i and column j for the entries?

Thank you.

1. What is the gradient of a vector?

The gradient of a vector is a mathematical operator that represents the rate of change of the vector in a given direction. It is a vector itself and is defined as the vector composed of the partial derivatives of the original vector with respect to each of its components.

2. How is the gradient of a vector calculated?

The gradient of a vector is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the vector with respect to each of its components and then combining them into a new vector. This can be represented mathematically as ∇A = (∂A/∂x, ∂A/∂y, ∂A/∂z) where A is the original vector.

3. What does the gradient of a vector represent?

The gradient of a vector represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent or descent of the vector. It can also be interpreted as the direction in which the vector is changing the fastest.

4. How is the gradient of a vector used in physics?

The gradient of a vector is used in physics to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism to represent the direction and strength of changes in a vector field.

5. Can the gradient of a vector be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a vector can be negative. This would indicate that the vector is decreasing in value in that particular direction. A positive gradient indicates an increase in value, while a zero gradient indicates no change in value.